Vectors or Objects spanning across pages, cropping vectors, moving objects

Previous topic - Next topic

Popkultur

Hello,

I have issues as following:
1. Placing very big (vector) objects on a page which bleed into other pages - how to prevent this?
2. as a follow up: How to crop a vector object (masking)?
3. typing: How to make a selected font stay when pressing return?
4. moving objects around: Which key to press while moving objects with the mouse to make them stay in line (vertical or horizontal)?

Thanks for some hints!

a.l.e

hi, for the future, please ask one question at a time and use matching titles... that makes it easy for other users to find answers to their future questions... and for us to giving a fast answer / check if the questions have been (correctly) answered :-)

1/ how would you want scribus to solve this? (except masking...)

2/ no, vectors objects are not objects but groups of vectors... i would love to have vector frames, but it's not there...

3/ what? which version of scribus?
   but, generally speaking, in some circumstances it's dangerous to write the first or last character in a line. i know stupid, but you get used to it, when you have local formatting (sadly, not only scribus has issues with those corner cases).

4. ctrl / cmd (i guess)

ciao
a.l.e

GarryP

Popkultur, just to add to what a.l.e said above, in answer to questions 1 and 2 you could try exporting your vector drawing to an EPS and then put the EPS in an image frame.

It's not really recommended and the results might not be what you expect for vectors that aren't simple but you could give it a try and see if what you get is what you need.

(Note: When Scribus puts EPS images in an image frame it generates a very low-resolution image to display on screen. You need to generate the PDF to see what it really looks like.)

Popkultur

Thank you for your kind replies. Regarding 1. I would recommend to do it like InDesign does, placing every page or pageset (left+right page) on a seperate workplace which do not interact. Of Course if there are two or more pages linked together, objects should stretch across them.

a.l.e

euh, i have never used modern versions of indesign :-(
(and i don't think that scribus should simply copy what indesign is doing... which is not a reason for re-inventing the whelle, of course!)

anyway, in scribus you can enlarge the space between pages and, then, your items will not span between pages.

for double pages document, it's imo sane to automatically continue a drawing in the facing page...
i wonder if spanning across non facing pages should be allowed...

i can be cool, but
- it's easy to fake it
- most of the time it's not what you want.

now, if we want that, scribus pages should have a clear ownership on the items... and today it's not the case.