Loading color palette by dropdown select

Previous topic - Next topic

micker

Sandraeskridge897

Quote from: GarryP on June 08, 2016, 01:51:57 PM
micker, as a.l.e. has said above, a lot of people just create colours as they need them or according to a palette that has been defined for the publication they are working on. That is the normal way of working for Desktop Publishing; too many colours can spoil a good layout.

However, I think I can understand where you're coming from. A lot of beginners will not feel comfortable creating their own colours and would like to be able to simply choose from a preset palette with a decent range of defaults, like you do in Inkscape, LibreOffice etc. And some people might not even realise that colours can be changed through the Colour Manager - it's a bit "hidden" in the Edit menu - and think that the only colours that are available are the ones listed in the Colours tab of the Properties Palette.

It might be good if Scribus allowed users to change colours via the PP Colours tab. At the very least a button could be given to get to the Colours Manager as an alternative to the Edit menu route. Or a context sensitive menu from the Colours tab where users can add/change/remove individual colours.

In the meantime, have you seen this article: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_create_your_own_colours ? It tells you how to create and manage colours, including an easy way of adding colours from the various palettes included with Scribus ("Creating a new colour from an existing palette"). It might be worth some time looking through it as it could save you time in the future.
You can also use https://create.vista.com/colors/palettes/cream-color-palette/ for yourself, as it will help you competently and quickly select color palettes for your projects, as this will make your project coherent and gramonic. There are just a bunch of all possible color combinations for every taste. Using color schemes always creates a coherent and pleasing look.
Thank you very much for sharing such useful portals, which will definitely help me, as I am new to this business and am looking for useful chips for sowing that can help both in design and in the elementary way save time that will be spent on work.

AdmFubar

one more option to add there.. what color space model you want to use.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

MZaske

Today I spent a lot of time to figure out how to expand the short list of colors available in > Document Setup > Item Tools > Lines (for example).

I am using Scribus for over 10 years, and I needed a new forum thread to be reminded that I have to close all documents, before I can make (certain) changes to the general preferences. And I need to change those general preferences before I can then tune my custom document preferences.

There are probably technical reasons for those limitations. I love Scribus but when I want to do a document (or have a deadline) I can hate those details where the hints or documentation is missing.

Scribus has got so many un-intuitive details. And often we wonder, where to put all those instructions. In this case, put them where the user will need them. Example:

When I try to pre-define a "line" for a specific document, and when Scribus is giving me only ten colors and no way to change those, then a bottom-entry in the colors-list could be "more colors". And when I click on that, then a text would come up and explain that I first need to close all documents, then adjust the generec preferences, then re-open my active document and then I can tune my line colors for custom color from my document setup.
Presently using Scribus 1.5.8 on Windows and on Linuxes.
I am a Newbie here in the forum (since 2015) but I am using Scribus for over 10 years for work and privately.

utnik

as i wrote here, there is a bug in the 'item tools'.

utnik

Nermander

Quote from: MZaske on March 25, 2023, 12:44:11 AMI am using Scribus for over 10 years, and I needed a new forum thread to be reminded that I have to close all documents, before I can make (certain) changes to the general preferences. And I need to change those general preferences before I can then tune my custom document preferences.

As far as I know that is no longer the case, today there is "Document Setup" for the current document and "Preferences" for future new documents.

And if you go to Edit->Colours and fills you can for example choose, import and save colour sets.

ScribusColors.PNG