Method to Auto-Number Figures/Illustrations/Tables Sequentially?

Previous topic - Next topic

richarddixon

My book has close to 200 general figures/illustrations/tables. Is there a method to automate this sequentially? The logic of any method would assign chapter number and then figure number such as 13-1 for chapter 13, figure 1.

Thanks

GarryP

Sorry but there's no way of doing this with Scribus, at least at the moment with 1.4.x. (I don't know what's available in, or planned for, 1.5.x.)

The names of Sections could be used as Chapter Numbers but there's no way of accessing them within the UI.

Object Attributes could be used to identify an object as a "Figure" or "Table" (or whatever) but there's no way of numbering them or referencing one object from another which is what you'd need in order to generate a combined chapter+figure reference. The text frame containing the reference, e.g. "Figure 2-3", would need to know which image frame (or whatever) it was referring to. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a lot more complications.

There could be lots of different ways of implementing this but none of them would be trivial coding projects.

Having said that, I think it would be a great addition to Scribus.