CMYK

Previous topic - Next topic

utnik

hello wena

color management is a bit tricky – for perfect results you need:

• a calibrated monitor
  • a working place with steady light conditions
  • profiled photos (usually in rgb)
  • the cmyk profile for the pdf export (adapted at print process and paper)

i supose, you don't have a calibrated monitor at hand – so you have to deal with amateur conditions...

• if your pictures have embedded profiles, work with them
  • otherwise try 'srgb' (common standard for photoshop, gimp,... and many digital camera...) if it looks ok, keep it.
  • the conversion to cmyk will be done when exporting the pdf file.

i could not find out, which cmyk profile ls requires – they don't mention a lot about color profiles.
i hope, you have some informations about!!
you have to select it in 'document setup' → 'pdf export' → 'pre-press', otherwise you will have unpredictable results...

utnik

Wena

John_Jason_Jordan mentioned on another thread  that he had a sulution, would this be a solution for me.

http://wexfordpress.com/tex/SWOPcoated5_240.icc

But I would need to know how to instal it and how to use it.

Wena

utnik

hello wena

'SWOPcoated5_240.icc' is a profile, that limits the total color coverage to 240% – from this point of view, it's a safe one. i don't know, if it matches more or less with the ls-print-workflow...

to use it, you have to install it in your system.
i think, it's in: /usr/share/color/icc... (i'm not on the linux machine now, so i can't double check this)
after that, you can select the profile in 'document setup' → 'pdf export' → 'pre-press' as output profile.
scribus will convert your book cover to the related cmyk color space.

utnik

Wena

I have now read that there is a color management system  on Scribus 1.4 and above.

Will this be of help? A color piker would be good to get the color of the main parts of the cover photo.

Dec 3
I though I had cracked the color profile problem. I opened a photo in Gimp and with its color piker got the yellow as "fff528". Then using the same photo in Scriburs 1.4 and going to the colour wheel and in CMYK I expected to get exactly the same color by entering the same definition, but there where no such facility there.

It is amazing that both books that I have purchased just don't get down to this subject.

Thank you  

Wena

Wena

O.K. now I have found this information:-

•   "Littlecms libraries installed and Scribus compiled with lcms support. You can tell by looking at Help > About Scribus and looking for C-C-T. The first C means Scribus is compiled with littlecms support. This is standard with MacOSX and Windows."

In color management and the color wheel I find that I can get to the CMYK, but if I change settings there nothing happens to the color. 

And the same place that I have found that information declares that the Linex version don't always have the littleCNS.

So what do I do to get my CMYK profile correct for LS?

Wena

Wena

Thank you Nermander,

I have seen most of them, and I have found, probably in my hurry to get things done, they have confused me more.

I have 6 books to do, the one is mostly done, apart from the covers.  I think I understand the difference between RGB and Cmyk.

But I need to understand how to make a good color front cover for the first of the books.

I must also be economical with the process as I am on a pension and attempting to get this work done.

I have now spent several days in just ATTEMPTING understanding the process.

Please will some one on this forum tell me how to use Scribus, Gimp, and my laptop to do the job.

Wena

Wena

I now need to know for sure which box to tike to make sure I get a CMYK

see the attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

None of those.

Wena

Thank you Nermander, when I look under the tab prepress I see that the CMYK is there but greyd out just under the words output file. Is that O.K.

Wena

Nermander

Are you talking about the profile for PDF/X-3?

That will be greyed out as long as you are not exporting to PDF/X-3.

The major difference between PDF/X-3 and the other PDF formats is that with X-3 the conversion to CMYK is optional, Scribus can instead embed a profile in the file and have all images keep their colorspace (thus leaving to the printer/RIP to do the CMYK conversion).

Don't use X-3 unless you really know what you are doing.

Wena

But Nermander all three  choices are the same Pre Press, see on the screen shot I have attached. all them declare that the "output intent".

The screen shot is of choice 3!!
Wena

Nermander

Yes, and as I said, that option is disabled unless you set Scribus to export to PDF/X-3.

I'm on an old laptop now that only has 1.3.6, but there are not much differences to those dialogs.

If you chose PDF/X-3 you will not be able to set Output intended for, because with PDF/X-3 there will be no conversion. All images will be exported "as is" with information on what colorspace they are in. And Scribus will embed information as to which profile the RIP/printer should use for the conversion to CMYK.