Importing XML into Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Dixon

Whilst I have plenty of computing experience, I am a total novice when it comes to Scribus, publishing packages in general, Python, Python scripts, etc so would appreciate some help. I wish to import XML into Scribus.

I have tried to create a Python script "FormatXML", taken from the page
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Formatxml

I copied the complete code in the box headed Source, without any change, into a .txt file using notepad and changed the extension to py. I then tried to execute the script in Scribus but got the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 8, in <module>
  File "C:\XML script\FormatXML.py", line 179, in <module>
    main_wrapper()
  File "C:\XML script\FormatXML.py", line 165, in main_wrapper
    main()
  File "C:\XML script\FormatXML.py", line 148, in main
    xml_file = getFile("XML File", 'XML (*.xml)')
TypeError: getFile() takes exactly 4 arguments (2 given)

Unfortunately, this means nothing to me. I can only find two references to FormatXML, without the extension .py and cannot find any reference to py

I hope that someone is kind enough to put me out of my misery!

Many thanks

Rob Dixon

Nermander

Quote from: Rob Dixon on May 09, 2016, 03:04:18 PM
  File "C:\XML script\FormatXML.py", line 148, in main
TypeError: getFile() takes exactly 4 arguments (2 given)

The above quoted part is the error message. In line 148 in your file there is a call to the getFile() function with to few arguments.

To me it looks as a bug in the code.

The call is

but the function is defined as
def getFile(caption, filter, defaultname, issave):

But I don't know enough Python to know if there is some settings telling that some arguments are optional.

Rob Dixon

Many thanks, Nermander. You may well be right that there are too few arguments, but it is way outside my comfort zone! Have you any idea how I might be able to find an answer?

Rob Dixon

Scribus has sent me the code for a new script and this now works. I have actually imported some XML into Scribus. Now I have to learn about Scribus.