Insert space

Previous topic - Next topic

peri1224

Is there a way to insert space in a multi-page document with text and image frames? Say a 20 page document, all perfectly laid out, except you need to insert empty space on an early page. In the software I have now all text and image frames must be moved down manually to create new space. That is rather tedious. I'm looking for a way to create space, like in a text editor, that automatically moves everything down if new empty space is created above.
Thanks for any advice.

Nermander

In linked text frames the content will flow if you insert space in the beginning, but the frames themselves will not move.

Scribus current approach is "page design", thus pages will not automatically redesign based on content changes.

solaero

If you need the space to be in a specific area, why not edit the nodes of the text frame to contain the blank area? That blank area would always be in the same area, however.

peri1224

Will try to work around the insert space problem with inserting a whole page.

But another thing is also causing problems. I have many pages of text and picture frames to put into Scribus. The text editor default font is Arial 12, but I want the font in the frame to be Calibri 11. After pasting text into the text editor, I have to select the whole text and change Arial to Calibri. That deselects the text. Then select it again and change font size to 11. Only then will the text appear correctly in the frame.

No matter what I try to do, the font always reverts to Arial 12. Is there a simple way to keep text editor output on Calibri 11 by default?

GarryP

The best thing to do would be to learn about "Styles" and apply them to your text rather than direct formatting (especially in the Story Editor which isn't a good place for formatting text since you can't see what's happening).

First create a character style to define the font and size, then define a paragraph style which is based on the character style then apply the paragraph style to the text.

It might sound long-winded at first but, once you've got the hang of it (and it's really not very difficult), it will make thing much easier for you. For instance, if you decide to change the font or size you only need change it in the character style and all the text you've formatted with the related paragraph style will change automatically.

(If you want to just change the default formatting - and not create your own styles - then change the default character style - which the default paragraph style is based on.)

peri1224

Thanks, that sounds good. Have tried to change default formatting but I can't get it to stick. I need only that one font/size anyway. What is the correct procedure for that?

GarryP

The short answer is:
* Menu "Edit -> Styles".
* Locate "Default Character Style" in the list in the dialog and double-click it to edit the style.
* Change the font/size as required.
* Press the "Apply" button to make the change (text already using this style will automatically change).
* If you're happy with the changes then just close the dialog.

There is no undo from style changes. If you want to go back you need to change the style back to how is was before manually.

peri1224

Thank you very much, it worked very smoothly. Much more enjoyable than changing each text editor entry. :)

GarryP

You're welcome. It's good practice to use styles rather than applying direct formatting. It takes a little bit of extra effort to create them but - for anything non-trivial - they can make the work a whole lot easier in the long term.