PDF X/1-a:2001

Previous topic - Next topic

utnik

hi wena

so, it finally worked – congratulations!

Quote from: Wena on September 06, 2011, 12:27:00 PMAny tutorials, videos are best for me?

as i'm german speaking, i learned the basics from this german pdf manual: (server.cbs-heidelberg.de/~ColbertD/1bk1/DTP/Scribus_kompakt.pdf).

for you i recommend to take a look at this: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Getting_Started_with_Scribus or to ask google.
for specific questions the scribus forum will still be an option...

utnik

MKG

Quote from: utnik on September 06, 2011, 12:43:34 AM
Quote from: MKG on September 05, 2011, 10:17:29 PM...Just click on Scribus NG, then on the install button and everything is done automatically for you.
unfortunately this is not what wena needs – the stable one is 1.3.3.14 and ng is 1.4.0rc-something. but for pdf/x-1a she needs 1.5.

i hope, she has it already.

utnik

Quite right, utnik - I thought mine was 1.5 but, having checked again, it's 1.4. Sorry if I misled. But happy wena finally got what she needed.

Wena

Thank  you two, the word NEED comes out clear in both of your posts. I would not have gone to all the trouble to set up an other computer if if wasn't for the NEED.

I really have to much work on my hands to volunteer have to learn a new program.

Now having worked a little with 1.5., I am beginning to feel comfortable with it, don't forget I am a beginner with   Scribus. My next big step is producing book cover in PDF X/1-a:2001, so fare I have not seen any instructions to help me over that one.

Wena

utnik

hi wena

Quote from: Wena on September 07, 2011, 02:31:02 PMMy next big step is producing book cover in PDF X/1-a:2001, so fare I have not seen any instructions to help me over that one.

what instructions do you need?
your print shop will mention the required bleed- and safety areas as well as the icc-profiles, and for the design take a look at books in a library...

utnik

Wena

The printing company have informed me that my files need to be in PDF X/1-a:2001 and I am tolled that Scribus v1. 5. can produce such a fail.  That is the information I need.

I do understand that v1.5 is rather new, but it is there some where.

Wena

utnik

hello wena

i thought, you have a running scribus 1.5 on your ubuntu system...
now you should adjust the preferencies:

• install the required color profiles (ask the printer)
  • 'color management' → check 'activate color management' and select the profiles
  • 'pdf-export' → 'options' → 'compatibility': pdf/x-1a
  • the next entry (something like 'print preflight' – i still use the german version...) → 'output profile': pdf/x-1a
take a look at all other preferencies – most of them should be clear...

utnik

Wena

Thank you utnik, I do have the scribus 1.5 ruining and I think it's  great. I am almost persuaded to sue it all the time but I know that is not safe at present.

The information you have just given me is the one I need, I am most grateful to you.

Wena   

utnik

hi wena

i know, this is a real development version (i don't really know how stable it is...), so i recommend to work in scribus 1.4.0rc5 and use the version 1.5 only to generate the final print-pdf.

utnik

Wena

Thank you utnik, I will be a good girl and do as I am told!!!

V1.4 is on my MS computer and 1.5 is on my Linux computer, however I am working on a caddy so everything is portable,

Wena

utnik

you can install 1.4.0rc5 parallel to 1.5 on your ubuntu machine.
otherwise you have to be careful about your fonts – don't use fonts, that aren't installed on the ubuntu or you will run into problems...

utnik

a.l.e

@wena: it's not adivsable for people who don't follow the scribus development to use scribus 1.5 for daily work...

but you can use it in a post production step, as an example for for creating a pdf X/1-a file. just take care not to save your .sla while working with 1.5!

1.5 is mostly stable but there are some limits (most of all: the undo for text has been developed for 1.4 after branching out 1.5 and has not been ported yet to 1.5) and its stability may depend on the latest commit for a new feature.

@utnik: why shouldn't one use fonts which are not installed system wide? just add them in scribus and don't forget to include them into the pdf! ... or am i missing something?

ciao
a.l.e

Wena

Thank you, advice is now coming thick and fast, my learning curve is steep and my client is waiting to see her book, but she can wait while I learn.

I get the  blame if her book is a mess!!!

Wena

utnik

hello a.l.e

Quote from: a.l.e on September 13, 2011, 10:00:26 AM@utnik: why shouldn't one use fonts which are not installed system wide? just add them in scribus and don't forget to include them into the pdf! ... or am i missing something?

i wrote this because wena had scribus 1.4.0rc5 on a windows computer and 1.5 on another computer with ubuntu...

utnik

Wena

In the next day or two I will attempt to put the book cover together, that has to have the graphics in  PDF X/1-a:2001.

I am rather nerves of the whole thing. At the same time I will need to have the colors correct.

Wena

aa_gangchen

I have figured out a way to do 99% of the work in Scribus, and then for teh remaining 1%, you can go to FedEx/ Kinko store to rent a computer for about 5 or 10 minutes at 0.30USD per minutes (that is a total of 1.5 USD to 3 USD) to easily convert the file to PDF X/1-a:2001 format.

No special technical knowledge is necessary.

See detailed discussion in my book, Using FREE Scribus Software to Create Professional Presentations: Book Covers, Magazine Covers, Graphic Designs, Posters, Newsletters, Renderings, and More (Full Color Edition)

ISBN: 9780984374151   

See the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Scribus-Software-Create-Professional-Presentations/dp/0984374159%3FSubscriptionId%3D1QZMGW0RRJC2PX87HDR2%26tag%3Dsalranexp-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0984374159