PDF X/1-a:2001

Previous topic - Next topic

Wena

Is there any way I can produce PDF X/1-a:2001 in scribus?

I know that there are other ways of doing so and that Scribus 1.5 will have it, but several members of this forum must have ways to do so.

Wena

utnik

hi wena

unfortunately, the only way to generate pdf/x-1a with scribus is with the version 1.5 – but you can install 1.4 and 1.5 parallel and run scribus1.5 only for the final pdf/x-1a generation.

utnik

Wena

Thanks, you are indeed a busy person.

Where do I get a Scribus 1.5?

Every where I have looked suggest it is not available to date.

Have we a download falsity tor it?

Then do I run the text in the Sribus 1.4 format or a PDF.

Wena.

utnik

hi wena

you can find daily 1.5 packages for ubuntu at http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download.
for all other operating systems you have to compile from the source code (wich you will find under the same link...)
if your printshop has scribus (some do – most don't...), perhaps they may generate the pdf for you.

Quote from: Wena on September 02, 2011, 03:36:18 PMThen do I run the text in the Sribus 1.4 format or a PDF.

i would write the text in a text editor like libO writer, ms word or something similar, then import it into scribus. (with libre office or open office all the formating will be imported as well...)

utnik

Wena

utnik, Thank you for your help.

Taking you address to get the source code and CMake to compile on my Windows XP computer , which I did. The only reference I found there was this link "svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus - Scribus 1.5.0svn (trunk)". But no download link.

Following that there was another link http://scribus.net/websvn/listing.php?repname=Scribus  Their was a list there but no download for Scribus 1.5. only a long list of developments.

Have I miss understood your instructions.

Has anyone got a direct link to v 1.5  download?

Wena

utnik

hello wena

i don't think i can help you – i'm not really familiar with ms windows...

Quote from: Wena on September 02, 2011, 08:32:12 PM...there was this link "svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus - Scribus 1.5.0svn (trunk)"...
...but no download for Scribus 1.5. only a long list of developments.
...this long list are the files you need to compile the program. the download of the whole tree of files starts when you put:   svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus yourUnstableScribusdirectory   into a command-line interface (maybe subversion is required for this...)
after you have the files on your hd, i have no idea how to compile it for your system – you will need infos from someone who knows the windows platform...

utnik

Nermander

The info is probably in a file called BUILDING among the files downloaded from svn...

Wena

I have now set up an  ubuntu on a computer and have taken the advice of this thread to get Scribus v 1.5 from http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download. But there was no download function. Only a list. Now  utnik am I on your expertise line.

Wena

utnik

hello wena

the link to the archive is svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus but the best way to download the whole bunch of files is to put:   svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus yourUnstableScribusdirectory   into a command-line interface – as i wrote before...

but for ubuntu there are packages under https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ppa. there you should find a build for your linux version (to be installed with ubuntu software center).

utnik

Wena

None of the above address gives a download link for Scribus 1.5 for my Ubunto computer or my Windows XP computer.

utnik there must be something out of place? I have even registered with "Lanchpad" to see if that will help but NO.

I am advised to get Scribus v 1.5. I have surcharged the net for it with no results, why is that?

Wena

utnik

hello wena

i just tried to install the newest build on my ubuntu system – and it worked...

first you add   deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/scribus/ppa/ubuntu natty main   as a source to your ubuntu software center (for me it was 'natty'. if you have the newest ubuntu build, it's the same – otherwise insert 'maverick' or 'lucid'...)
after that, the ubuntu software center will find 'scribus(trunk)' as a possible application to install.
install it...

for me, this procedure worked – i hope it's the same for you...

utnik

edith: don't press the link, copy all from 'deb' to 'main'...

MKG

Hi All ...

The Ubuntu Software Centre comes with a link to Scribus already prepared. If you've just installed Ubuntu, wena, open the Software Centre, click on Graphics and then on Publishing. You'll find two options - one for stable Scribus and one for Scribus NG. The last one is the one you're looking for. Just click on Scribus NG, then on the install button and everything is done automatically for you.

Hope that helps ...

Wena

Thanks, all of  you, I think it has worked, at least it is coming to the end of the download. It was the Lucid one.

We will see.

Wena

utnik

Quote from: MKG on September 05, 2011, 10:17:29 PM...Just click on Scribus NG, then on the install button and everything is done automatically for you.
unfortunately this is not what wena needs – the stable one is 1.3.3.14 and ng is 1.4.0rc-something. but for pdf/x-1a she needs 1.5.

i hope, she has it already.

utnik

Wena

Thank you utnik I had been able to get Scribus 1.5 last night. I am a green horn using ubuntu and setting things up in it. Fortunately for me I have a lodger in my house who uses ubuntu and he took all the stress out of it.

I played about for 2 hours and not had a crash! so fare it looks great but now comes the steep learning curb!!!

Any tutorials, videos are best for me?

May be a new thread on this matter may help mi and others as developments of it take place.

Wena