Help installing RC5 in Ubuntu

Previous topic - Next topic

brohan

I had been using Scribus on windoze 7, when it gave out. I fired up my Linux box, and am now trying to install RC5, as that is what I have on Windows 7. I hav downloaded and then untarred the bz2 file. When I run Cmake I get the error below. Any help is greatly appreciated.  According to Synaptic Package Manager I have libqtcore4.

Thank you in advance.

root@brohan-desktop:/usr/local/scribus-1.4.0.rc5# cmake /usr/local/scribus-1.4.0.rc5
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Scribus 1.4.0.rc5 will be built to install into /usr/local
-- Machine: i486-linux-gnu, void pointer size: 4
-- Found target X86
-- Building for target i486-linux-gnu
-- Using standard ApplicationDataDir. You can change it with -DAPPLICATION_DATA_DIR
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:673 (MESSAGE):
  Could NOT find QtCore header
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:484 (FIND_PACKAGE)

brohan

I followed the instructions at http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian to add the deb http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ natty main line in Synaptic Package Manager, then reloaded. I then added the key per the same webpage, ignoring the not secure part, then I tried to add the RC5 package that was now showing in the package manager and I received the following errors:

The following is unsecured etc, do you want to proceed
Not Authenticated:
libpodofo0.9.0

I then Mark this to proceed, an receive the following:

scribus-ng:
  Depends: libjpeg62 (>=6b1) but 6b-15ubuntu1 is to be installed
Depends: libpython2.7 (>=2.7) but it is not installable
  Depends: libqtcore4 (>=4:4.7.0~beta1) but 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.2 is to be installed
  Depends: libstdc++6 (>=4.5) but 4.4.3-4ubuntu5 is to be installed

Any Suggestions?

brohan

I closed Synaptic, and restarted it. Now when trying to get the scribus-ng RC5~1 package, I do not get the unauthenticated warning, but it says it will install libpodofo0.9.0, when I select Mark, it then still gives the error messages as before:

cribus-ng:

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: brohan on August 31, 2011, 07:30:04 AM
scribus-ng:

When you have Synaptic open how many packages does it show as available in the bottom left corner of the window? If it is substantially less than 25-26,000 or so, then you probably don't have the Ubuntu repositories enabled where the above dependencies are located. If it does show 25-26,000 or so, then I'll shut up because there is something else wrong that I don't know how to fix.
Linguistics on Linux!

brohan

In Synaptic I show 30,621 packages listed, 1485 installed, 0 broken, 0 to install/upgrade.  python 2.7 is not listed as an available package, could this be the issue?

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: brohan on August 31, 2011, 07:49:15 AM
In Synaptic I show 30,621 packages listed, 1485 installed, 0 broken, 0 to install/upgrade.  python 2.7 is not listed as an available package, could this be the issue?

Nope. Packages are located in different repositories, but a stock install of Ubuntu does not enable all the repositories. A stock install will list only a few thousand packages. That you have 30,621 packages available tells me that you have enabled all the repositories. Therefore, my suggestion was useless and something else is causing the problem. I don't know what it is and I have no further suggestions. Hopefully someone smarter than me will come along with more suggestions.
Linguistics on Linux!

brohan

For the hay of it, I manually downloaded and installed python 2.7.2 in the /usr/bin directory. As I am new to Linux, I am not sure that Linux recognizes that I have 2.7.2 installed, or if just 2.6 is available. Can one have more than one installed and recognized?  I went and tried to install Scribus RC5 again, but same issues. I shall wait for help.