Independent control of columns in 2-column format

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul McG

I am using 1.5.0svn with Windows and have a document set up with 2 columns. Now I want to add some footnotes, but I want the footnotes to stretch across a single column. What I dont seem to be able to do is to gain control of just the left-hand column so that I can shorten it to fit the footnotes in and leave the right-hand column unaffected. Do I have to start again with independent and then linked columns? Or can I somehow do something with what I have now? I have added an attachment so you can sort of see the problem.

Thanks

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

i would use indipendent frames, guides, and a typographic grid...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_%28graphic_design%29

(not the grid that is in scribus, the one you can create in the guide manager, automatic grids...)

Paul McG

Thanks for quick reply. So, it is not possible to separate the two columns once you have selected "Automatic Text Frames" and "Columns:2" in the New Document dialog box? Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

just make it 1 column and use the "link" tool (you'll find it in the toolbar) to link the current frame to a new empty one and let the text flow from one to the other...

btw, in most cases i would not use automatic text frames... (and you cannot disable (or enabled) it after you have created the document...)

Paul McG

OK, thanks. I will start again with non automatic columns this time.

Kunda

Paul McG

Yes, that's it. But, anyway, I started over, with a manually set up 2-column format. Tomorrow I will try to learn tables. Paul