Bad interface on Ubuntu 15.04

Previous topic - Next topic

il mietitore

I'm running Scribus 1.4.5 on Ubuntu Studio 15.04.

Back in the 14.04 version everything was fine, but now, if I use Scribus, that's the interface I get:

That early 90's look is greatly different from the cool interface that I see, for example, here (I'm now noticing that that screenshot also comes from a quite old Scribus version, 1.3!).

I know that I had this problem also in Scribus 1.4.4, because yesterday I updated it also because I wanted to check if the new version had the same problem.

I suppose I just lack a library or something like that.

Also, I don't know if this is normal, but when I start it I get this b/w banner: I'm sure it was colored, back in Ubuntu 14.04.

Kunda

What version of Qt do you have installed ?
The 2nd issue, the black and white splash screen is an issue with Qt, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44557

Kunda

BTW, the interface changes again in 1.5 so be prepared :)

il mietitore

This command should tell me what version of Qt do I have, but according to it I don't even have Qt installed:

alex@Sargon:~$ qmake -v
qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory

a.l.e

ciao mietitore,

there are two ways of defining the theme scribus / qt are using:

- the first one is in scribus itself, in the main preferences dialog under the "theme". check if one of those entries is better for you.

- if it does not help, you have to choose the right qt4 theme with qtconfig (i cannot test it since i don't have it installed... and i don't relly care how my scribus 1.4 looks like :-)

good luck!
a.l.e

il mietitore

Turns out there was no theme selected, and this probably was the issue:

I installed qt, but the initial screen still is b/w.

a.l.e

... qt was already installed... scribus cannot run without it.

you should install qtconfig and choose a different theme and see if it matches your expectations...

ciao
a.l.e

il mietitore

The theme now is fine, the issue was that I didn't select any of them.

The qt problem concerns the b/w image at the beginning. The terminal kept on telling me that there was no Qt installed:

Quote from: il mietitore on October 31, 2015, 08:45:53 PM
This command should tell me what version of Qt do I have, but according to it I don't even have Qt installed:

qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory

Now it says I'm using Qt 5.4.1:

QMake version 3.0
Using Qt version 5.4.1 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

a.l.e

fine!

but you don't need qmake to be installed for running scribus (and you do not need qmake at any time with scribus).

now, you probably have the development toolkit from Qt installed on your computer, which is fine if you want start programming for scribus (or want to compile yourself the development version) but it did not affect your situation at all :-)

the proof of it is that scribus 1.4.x uses Qt 4 and not the Qt 5 shown by your "qmake -v" :-)

this is only for future reference for people reading this thread to solve similar problems... you are fine now!