outlines on images

Previous topic - Next topic

eava

This is a super simple question but I cannot figure it out. How do you import the outlines of vector images?

For ie, I have a bunch of light pink hearts that have a darker pink outline (stroke paint). Scribus is only importing the fill. If I do stroke to path (I am using Inkscape) then scribus imports the outline only, not the fill. Am I missing something? I can import text just fine. With that said though, my printer requires font to be outlined as well. (fyi I am working with tshirts). Thanks.

GarryP

Hi eava, and welcome to the forum.

When importing the vector, do you get a message saying something like "Scribus doesn't support all features"?

Scribus - as of 1.4.5 - can't handle a lot of the latest SVG stuff, e.g. transparency on gradients. (I don't think your issue is with this particular feature, it's just an example.)

Would it be possible for you to attach the vector you're having problems with? If someone can replicate the problem it can be properly reported as such (if it is indeed a problem and not just something else).

eava

Thankyou Garry!

yes, I do get that msg. I learned afterward that ghostscript should have been installed first but also that it wasn't necessary for my purposes. I have attached the vector.

[attachment deleted by admin]

eava

update: I uninstalled and reinstalled scribus and also installed ghostscript before the reinstall. same issue. (version 1.45). Interestingly, .eps files wouldn't import either.

I installed unstable version 1.5 and things import like a charm! outlines, .eps, no problem. Maybe I had a corrupt version of 1.45 but I don't think so, it came straight from scribus.net.  I mean I would rather use the stable version but whatever I guess!

I am curious to know if the svg file imported properly on your end.

utnik

hi eava

the outlines of your hearts are defined with a swatch. if you change this to a simple stroke paint, the artwork will import as expected – at least it does on my machine. (macOS 10.11.2 / scribus 1.4.5)
as i almost never use swatches, i didn't know about this import limitation. but for your hearts a simple stroke would do.

utnik

eava

thanks Utnik! that solved the problem! I wasn't aware it made a difference.

thanks to you both  :)