Scribus > Windows

PDF images not displaying

(1/3) > >>

markmarksen:
Hello,

after having no problems for a couple of years with Scribus 1.3.3.13 my PDF's are not displaying anymore.

I will first say that I already posted this question on a German forum and somebody was very nice to help me. He asked to zip up a sample, which I did - and he could display it just fine!

To make sure it wasn't related to a virus I recently had on my laptop, I installed Scribus 1.3.3.14 on a different computer and I cannot see the PDF pictures there, either.

Display images is checked and when I go to the Image Manager, it says that the PDFs in question are missing, but the paths displayed are correct. Clicking on search,browse and Preview produces an empty image. JPG's work fine.

Per the person in the forum I checked the PFILE variables and they are fine as well.

He thought it may be an incompatibility with other software, which is possible of course. I cannot think of something  I installed recently though - and it would have to be the same software that is present on the other computer.

Btw, a red X is displayed in the image frame and I can get Properties for it. It just won't display it (It does display a jpg, though).

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,
mark

a.l.e:
hi mark,

please add a link to the post in the german forum so that we can know the details...
having access to one of the files would probably also help.

finally, you should probably try with 1.4RC ... personally, i won't be able to test your files with a 1.3.3.14...

btw, except if you have good reasons to stay with 1.3.3.x, you should probably slowly start migrating to 1.4 (we can only give very basic support for 1.3.3.14... you can go on using it for ever if you prefer, but if you have issues and want some free support from the community you'd better go for 1.4)

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: have changed the name of the directories on your computer? are the pdf files still at the same place as they used to be?

markmarksen:
Hello a.l.e.,

thanks for your response.

--- Quote from: a.l.e on August 25, 2011, 01:56:54 pm ---please add a link to the post in the german forum so that we can know the details...
--- End quote ---

http://www.scribus-forum.de/forum/index.php?topic=3700.0

--- Quote ---having access to one of the files would probably also help.
--- End quote ---

Here is a zipped test  with three images (two pdf, not displaying, one jpg, displaying):
http://www.borntobike.net/tmp/test.zip

--- Quote ---finally, you should probably try with 1.4RC ... personally, i won't be able to test your files with a 1.3.3.14...

btw, except if you have good reasons to stay with 1.3.3.x, you should probably slowly start migrating to 1.4 (we can only give very basic support for 1.3.3.14... you can go on using it for ever if you prefer, but if you have issues and want some free support from the community you'd better go for 1.4)
--- End quote ---

Ok, thanks for the hint. I will try to get to that later tonight.

--- Quote ---p.s.: have changed the name of the directories on your computer? are the pdf files still at the same place as they used to be?

--- End quote ---

Yes, they are all in the same location - plus it happens on a newly created test file as well. The Image manager displays the right locations, but the preview is empty. The preview is also empty when I insert a new pdf in a new file (the jpg are displayed).

Thanks again for your response.

a.l.e:
hi mark,

i could normally open your file and one of both pdf just showed up like magic...

for the other one i had to rename it and i could also load t in the image frame...

so: it looks like you have an issue with the encoding of your file names (and for the one i see, the path leading to the image)...

avoiding umlauts is always the safe way to go :-)

hth
a.l.e

markmarksen:
Hello a.l.e.,

thanks for trying! Yes, the umlaut problem was noted by the guy on the German forum as well. But since I can't see either one of the pdfs, this doesn't seem to be at the core of my problem.

I did upgrade to 1.4.rc5 and see the same problem. What is very strange is that when I create a new file, insert a new image frame and do get image, I do not see the pdf contents in the preview windows (see screenshot here:

http://www.borntobike.net/tmp/getimage.pdf

I think I will switch to PagePlus...

thanks,
mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version