Scribus not recognizing correct PPI? (importing a 350PPI pdf at 72ppi)

Previous topic - Next topic

jaygee

Hello,

I'm new to Scribus but it would be awesome if I can get it to work for my project.

I have a file created in Photoshop at with the following dimensions:
10.75" wide, 4.125" height, 350 PPI

I save this file in photoshop as PDF using [High Quality Print]  Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) and default options for the rest.

When I import the image into Scribus, it always comes up grainy and at 72PPI (preview quality is "High").

If I use a PNG instead of PDF, image properties in Scribus are correct - 350PPI/DPI and the quality looks correct.

Any suggestions here?

jaygee

I've also read this:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Images_-_PPI_and_DPI

But it doesn't make sense to me since my image is being created at 350PPI originally at my desired height/width.

I can even open this PDF again in photoshop and it tells me that it is 350PPI

Nermander

PPI is not a property of a digital image, it's just a number in the file telling the "preferred" physical size.

Please see the explanations in this topic: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,112.msg453.html

utnik

hi jaygee

Quote from: jaygee on October 22, 2015, 02:10:29 AMI have a file created in Photoshop at with the following dimensions:
10.75" wide, 4.125" height, 350 PPI

...so the real resolution of your image is something like 3762×1444 pixels.

QuoteI save this file in photoshop as PDF

why?
if it's an image, you should use an image format (.tif, .jpg, .psd, .png...)

QuoteWhen I import the image into Scribus, it always comes up grainy and at 72PPI

what value do you read in 'extras' → 'manage images' → 'layout' → 'effective dpi'?
(unfortunately even scribus calls this 'dpi' instead of 'ppi'...)

how does the final .pdf from scribus look like? (resolution ok?)

the wiki article about image resolution is good to tell you the difference between the source resolution of an image file (which is in pixels) and the print or display resolution (which is in pixels per inch).

but the article mixes ppi and dpi (like many program user interfaces – like scribus – do) and it contains an error (or at least an important omission) in the final part – and it supports the old myth of the standard 300ppi requirement, which may be a good rule of thumb, but not a real standard.

utnik