placing SVG files and cropping them

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogil

I have some SVG graphics that I would like to use in an image frame. Scribus will only import them directly, but this has two major drawbacks:
1. If the vector graphic is scaled that it will cover another page, that part of it will be printed on the other page: I need the cropping of the frame and don't get this when the graphic is imported.
2. I would like to keep the files external, so I can keep editing them in Inkscape and Scribus will realize that I changed the originals and i just need to update the links.

Am I missing something obvious?

I could save the vector file as PDF, but then the background is not transparent any more and I need that.

LilZebra

I'd like to see this fixed too.

Today I imported a SVG file from OpenClipArt.org.

Before using File > Import > Vector File

I created a new Image Frame.

Importing the SVG created a whole new Image Frame rather than using the one with the dimensions I already specified.
Linux (Fedora 22 i686_64). Scribus 1.5.3svn. MATE / GNOME 3.16 evince.

GarryP

Dogil, you can put EPS vectors in image frames so you can "crop" them but - I think - they will still be embedded in the SLA. Also, the bitmap preview that Scribus uses to display EPSes isn't very good quality (export should be fine though). And, Scribus doesn't handle all EPS features - as it doesn't handle all SVG features - so what you get might not be what you started with.

LilZebra, Scribus doesn't import SVGs into a frame. The vectors are handled like any other drawn item such as shapes, polygons, etc. They are grouped when you import them so they look like a frame but it's just a group and not a frame.