Scribus > Text and Typography

Font selection

(1/3) > >>

Andreas S:
Font handling in Scribus (I'm using 1.5.0) is very inconvenient, if you have many installed fonts. I could really save a lot of time with these features implemented:
1. The font-selection drop down in the story editor should list the already used fonts at 1st, otherwise with two fonts used (I need a Symbol-Font and a text font), every change is a pain, scrolling through hundreds of fonts in the drop down.
2. in Preferences/Fonts I can globally deselect fonts, but I have to check/uncheck every single font (select all/deselect all) would help here. Now, with let's say 500 fonts I have to uncheck manually 498 fonts. Even better than a global (de-)select all would be to enable/disable complete font families.
3. Again in Story editor if I make a selection and then a change to the selection, the selection is gone. Example: change from 12 to 10 points in size, I have to press the down-arrow twice but after the 1st press I have to reselect. This one I would consider a bug.

a.l.e:
i feel your pain.

i've been discussing something similar earlier this week.

my proposal would be:

- the font selection only shows the used fonts and have a "more" link at the end
- the "extra > fonts preview" dialog should be expaneded by allowing to apply the selected font to the current text selection / current text frame
- the "fonts preview" dialog should be non modal (that is: you can continue your work, while it's open)

there are two things that i'm not sure about:

- should the "more" link show all the fonts in the list itself or open the "font preview" dialog? (i tend to prefer the second way)
- how to use the "font preview" dialog to apply the font to the current style in the style manager? (should it work the other way round and should the style manager pick the font from the one currently selected in the "font preview" dialog?)

of course, the font preview dialog should then be renamed...

what do you think about this proposition?

Andreas S:
In my projects I always try to keep it easy and simple for the user and the developer, so regarding the dropdown for the font selection in the story editor I think, that just reordering the font list to show the used fonts at the beginning would be the easiest solution for the user and this should also be easy to implement. To use the font preview in a non-modal dialog and add the functionality to pick a font for the selection is a great idea. Currently, if you edit a text frame inline, I don't see any way to change the font.
Regarding the style manger I have not yet thought about.

LilZebra:

--- Quote from: Andreas S on July 11, 2015, 04:57:17 pm ---Font handling in Scribus (I'm using 1.5.0) is very inconvenient, if you have many installed fonts. I could really save a lot of time with these features implemented:

2. in Preferences/Fonts I can globally deselect fonts, but I have to check/uncheck every single font (select all/deselect all) would help here. Now, with let's say 500 fonts I have to uncheck manually 498 fonts. Even better than a global (de-)select all would be to enable/disable complete font families.

--- End quote ---

:) :) :) :) :)

You could maybe try Font Manager 0.72 (Linux) to create a Collection and temporarily while using Scribus just select the fonts you will be using. All others will not be loaded/selectable.

http://fontmanager.github.io/

a.l.e:
scribus has also is own font manager in the preferences.

somebody should extend it to be able to define sets of fonts... that's a pretty simple hack...

anyway, don't forget to restart scribus after having modified the list of available fonts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version