Books

Previous topic - Next topic

OldOne

I'm just curious if there are books other than the official Manual that are good sources of information for beginners.

Meho R.

I guess Scribus 1.3.5 Beginner's Guide, published by Packt Publishing, might be one of them:
https://www.packtpub.com/scribus-1-3-5-beginners-guide/book

Admin

Quote from: mehor on February 24, 2011, 05:36:31 PM
I guess Scribus 1.3.5 Beginner's Guide, published by Packt Publishing, might be one of them:
https://www.packtpub.com/scribus-1-3-5-beginners-guide/book

At least two (gpittman and malex) reviews from the community have been done as well.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

maniac

Thank you, I too was looking for this info.

Also, thank you for creating this forum, it is great for those of us who, like myself, prefer forums for their convenience to mailing lists!

Off-topic question: Is Scribus still looking for German translators or are you covered already for that language?

Admin

Quote from: maniac on March 07, 2011, 08:59:20 AM
Thank you, I too was looking for this info.

Also, thank you for creating this forum, it is great for those of us who, like myself, prefer forums for their convenience to mailing lists!

Off-topic question: Is Scribus still looking for German translators or are you covered already for that language?

You would do well to contact the current listed German translator to find that out.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

youngros

I downloaded the code for this book from Packt Publishing, but when I try and open their files I get a fatal error that it is not an acceptable format? Anyone else managed to download and use them? Thanks

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: youngros on March 12, 2011, 06:02:39 PM
I downloaded the code for this book from Packt Publishing, but when I try and open their files I get a fatal error that it is not an acceptable format? Anyone else managed to download and use them? Thanks

You need an e-book reader. On Linux I use calibre. I don't know what e-book readers might be available for other operating systems.

An alternative is to download the PDF version of the book. The e-book format has advantages because your e-book reader allows you to do things like highlighting, making notes, bookmarks, and other things that you can do with a paper book.
Linguistics on Linux!

youngros

No problem reading the book, it is opening the downloaded code to use with the book. They are supposedly .sla files but won't open. I'm on Windows7 and using 1.3.3.14

Meho R.

Quote from: youngros on March 12, 2011, 06:40:03 PM
No problem reading the book, it is opening the downloaded code to use with the book. They are supposedly .sla files but won't open. I'm on Windows7 and using 1.3.3.14
The book is created with development 1.3.5 version of Scribus and I expect so are the files that come with the book, which means that you'll need Scribus version 1.3.5 or higher to open those files. Try with version 1.4.0.rc2, should work nicely.

Dankstar

I just bought the Beginners Guide and it's a very busy and interesting book.  The last time I did DTP was back in the early 90's using the then excellent Pagestream on the Amiga.  I am pleased and surprised to see that Scribus feels very familiar to me and I am not having much trouble getting nice results.  I am about to embark on some work producing some documentation so it will be an interesting exercise using Scribus, GIMP and Inkscape to try and produce a high quality technical document.

a.l.e

chen & chen's book: the first time i've seen a book whose title is longer than the amazon url...

utnik

under http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,176.0.html you will find something about chen, his book and his understanding of scribus...

utnik