"funny" text box behaviour

Previous topic - Next topic

Karela

I have been having some problems the last few days with Scribus getting "stuck" in text boxes and being a bit buggy.

Often the cursor doesn't appear even after I click 10 times, or if I select-swipe a sentence, it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for it to appear swiped. Changes that I make don't even appear until I click to deselect the box. Basically it is deadly slow- but only for text. Shapes and moving things around work great.

I have tried quitting and re-opening Scribus, which seemed to work last night, shutting down most of my other programmes (but I need to keep re-opening them because I need them for work). Has anyone had experience with this before?

GarryP

Unfortunately this has been a bug for a long time. I often get similar problems.

Unfortunately, again, it seems to come up so "randomly" that it's practically impossible to build a workflow that the developers can follow to see the problem for themselves. If they can't find the problem they can't fix it.

In my experience, this and other similar issues seem to happen more often when I've been working on the same document for a long time. Scribus seems to get slower and less responsive as I plough on through the work. Once it gets too bad I close Scribus then re-open the document and carry on until the next time it happens and repeat.

It feels like it might be a problem with the Undo stack filling up memory or something but that's a total guess. (It's the only thing I can think of that should get bigger alongside the problem getting worse.)

However, again, telling the developers to follow a workflow of: "Do loads of random things for a couple of hours and you'll start to see the problem." won't be very helpful to them.

My only suggestion would be to bounce Scribus whenever you go for a break. Not a very nice solution but it works, until the next time at least.

Karela

I know exactly what you mean- I can work on a document for a short time - or even a "light" document for a long time, and not have any problems, but the moment there is a big project that involves keeping scribus open for a long time and using it heavily, all sorts of things happen. And funnily enough, one week it will do one problem repeatedly (for example the text boxes) and the next week it will be something completely different.

It sounds a bit like a toddler...too many activities and not enough naps leading to tantrums over nothing in particular! Definitely a tricky one to describe to developers.

I am trying to be good about shutting Scribus down at night and not having lots of other heavy programmes running, and it is good to know that most problems can be solved by just taking a break and restarting the programme.

TexAgg

One of the standard functions probably has a memory leak somewhere. This type of thing was standard back in the days of Win 3.1 (Yea, I'm old)