Unable to import images

Previous topic - Next topic

Grainneog

Hi

I've just downloaded Scribus and Ghostscript and I'm having trouble importing images. When I try to import something it just comes up with the name of the file in the picture box. It's not I have been moving the files around and the link is broken as I haven't managed to import the file to begin with. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
G

Nermander

I'm not if it is the problem, but Scribus has preview settings that can be used to increase performance by using a low resolution preview of images or even not display images at all.

Easiest way to test is to export to PDF, if the images show in the PDF they are in the document and most likely the preview has just been turned off.

GarryP

Just to add to what Nermander has said above, try looking at the menu "View -> Display Images". If "Display Images" is not checked/ticked then the images will not be shown. Select "Display Images" to show the images.

This can be rectified permanently through either "Preferences... -> Display" or "File -> Document Setup / Display" depending on whether you want it "fixed" at a global or document level.

Actually, toggling "Display Images" is a nice quick way to get info on the images on the page you're looking at without going through the Image Manager.

Grainneog

Thanks for your advice both. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the problem. I have the display image box checked but still can't see the image and it won't let me export as a pdf at all. Hmm, curious, I'll investigate a bit more.

GarryP

Have you tried "cleaning" the images by passing them through something like GIMP? (Open/Save As...)

It may be that there's some "corruption" in the image files that's confusing Scribus.

Alternatively, if you can post an example image that's causing trouble it might help someone track down the fault.

Grainneog

Passing it through Gimp has worked :) Thanks for your help! Not sure I understand what the problem was but hey ho.

GarryP

I'm glad you've got it sorted.

However, it would be best if the problem didn't happen again.

If you could attach an example image it might help someone diagnose what the problem was and therefore help the developers modify Scribus so it isn't an issue for other people - and yourself - in the future.

If you aren't comfortable attaching an image (for whatever reason), then answering these questions might help:
1. What was the image format? (PNG/JPG/etc.)
2. What was the origin of the image? (Camera/website/output from a conversion process/etc.)
3. What message - if any - did you get from GIMP when you opened the image?
4. Have you used the image successfully in any other software?

Any extra information you can give might be useful.