Adding 'continued to page #'

Previous topic - Next topic

deenk

Hi,
I haven't seen any option in Scribus to insert 'continued on page #' and 'from page #' within text frames. A script or plug-in to do this would be very useful.

Nermander

As far as I know nothing yet exists. I've done it manually using extra frames on top of the content frames. But I've only used it very few times, IMO it's not good design to make a lot of long jumps where you need to tell the reader where the text continues.

I used it in a magazine where some of the articles were very long (like 6-8 pages). Then the first 2-4 pages were in the front halv of the magazine and the last pages at the end. But generally a text should continue on the next page or the next spread so the reader won't lose track of the text.

a.l.e

if i'm not mistaking, cezary did program it in his branch.

but it never made it to the main scribus branch.

and i don't even know if it was correectly implemented...

if somebody wants to implement it, it's doable...

and if somebody wants to go through all the changes cezary made but didn't make it into the trunk, well, there are a few very interesting features that would need some care before being ready to be proposed for inclusion into scribus!

a.l.e

p.s.: scribusECE is not in the internets anymore... jluc's mirror is here https://github.com/AlterScribus/ece15

deenk

Hi,
Thank's for responding. I checked out the 'ece15 link' and saw that its three years old. Will it work on Scribus 1.4? And do I need to download all of the three updates?

GarryP

Just my two-penneth...

This sort of thing is possible with 1.5.0svn by using markers but I've no idea if this functionality will be available in the final product.

To create a marker, put the caret in the text where you want to get the page number from and choose menu "Insert -> Marks -> Anchor Mark", give the marker a name and OK the dialog.
Then, in the text where you want the referenced page number to be, put the caret in the text where you want to put the page number and choose menu "Insert -> Marks -> Reference to Mark", choose the named marker and OK the dialog.

It seems to work okay but be warned that 1.5.0svn is not for production use at the moment. And files created with 1.5.0svn cannot be loaded back into earlier versions.

If you want to use this feature I'd recommend saving a copy of the document in 1.4.? (with a -dev suffix in the file name, or whatever) and loading this copy into 1.5.0svn and trying it out there so you don't lose the original. (You might want to wait until the very end of your workflow before using it properly.)

Tester beware! If in any doubt, don't risk it.