External Hyperlink on new tab Chrome

Previous topic - Next topic

sovemc

Hello everyone.

I created pdf files with Scribus to download from my website.

When you open the PDF file in a new tab in Chrome and I click on external links in PDF, open the external link in the same tab. I would like the link to open in a new tab in Chrome.

I inserted the PDF button in the settings and Javascript I inserted the following code found in the guide:

app.launchURL ("http://www.scribus.net/", true)

But it does not work!

If I open the file locally on my PC the link works, but not in Chrome.

Can you help?
It could be a problem of JavaScript? `

Thanks a lot for your help

Nermander

It depends on settings in the browser I think. Ctrl-click will most likely open in a new tab.

sovemc

Does not work with the CTRL key. These are PDF which will have to use a standard user. So as soon as they click the link should open in a new tab. I can not explain it to them to use the CTRL key to make this type of operation.

Other ideas on why it does not work?

GarryP

As Nermander has already said, how a hyper-link in a PDF is handled depends more on the individual person's set-up than anything you might put in the PDF.

You have no control over how someone will read the PDF. If they are using a browser you have no control over which one they are using (Chrome, Firefox, etc. etc.) and they all work slightly differently. The same thing goes for PDF readers (Adobe, Skim, etc. etc.). Someone may even be accessing your document through a screen reader or a refreshable Braille display. You can't know, so you can't assume. And you definitely shouldn't try and force your own preferences on them.

Even if they are using a browser you should not expect to be able to override their choice about whether they use multiple tabs or not. For instance, people with motor control difficulties may have problems switching between tabs. Basically, it's their choice, not yours. Just create the document and let the reader do what they want with it.

P.S. Unless you need to do some processing - or other complicated stuff - a PDF Annotation to an External Web-Link is much easier to create than a PDF Button. You can make the "button" look like anything you want and draw the "invisible" annotation over it. (And if you want to make your document even more accessible, add the hyper-link as plain text and let the person's system access it as they want.)