impossible to print

Previous topic - Next topic

carla146

SO linux mint mate 17
printer Canon Pixma ip7250

I don't understand why the program refuses to print anything.
I see the preview, I configure the printer as usual, but the printer throw out a blank paper.
what can I do?
to print: I've saved as image, I imported in inkscape the images and from there I printed my documents....complicated, isn't it?
thank so much.

GarryP

Sorry, but I do not understand which software you are trying to print from.

Can you give a better description of:
* What you are trying to do;
* In which application you are trying to do it;
* And in which order you are trying to do it, please?

carla146

software: scribus.
I have created a two pages document, 24x12 cm, text in four text frames linked each other to print front/back in A4 page.
Impossible!
the program create the right preview pages, visible also in the printer configuration, but the printer throw out a white page.

a.l.e

hi carla

generally speaking: don't print directly from scribus.

use scribus' own export to pdf function and print the resulting pdf from your pdf viewer of choice.

this might sound strange, but scribus is a software thought for producing pdfs...

ciao
a.l.e

carla146

ok.
but it is possible to align the document?
because I proved with pdf but the margin were so that was impossible to print front/back.....

a.l.e

hi carla

you have to check that you're using the right paper size (cf. the document settings in scribus and the paper in your printer) and that the margins are the same on the left and on the right...

you also have to make sure that your pdf viewer is not scaling the pdf to the printer margins... many pdf viewer do that and they also offer a checkbox somewher that let's you avoid it!
it's very likely that this option is what is troubling you...

then, it's up to the printer if it is able to be exact enough to allow you control the way front/back pages are printed...

ciao
a.l.e

GarryP

If I have understood correctly - and there was no typing mistake - you are using a page size of 24cm x 12cm, while A4 - the size of paper you are using - is 29.7cm x 21cm.

This might be the initial cause of your problem. If the document page size you are using is very different from the physical page size then your printer could be having trouble interpreting what to print depending on the settings in the PDF reader software and in the printer itself. If in doubt - or unless you know better - always use the same document and physical page sizes.

(If your document is actually 24cm x 21cm - if there was a typing mistake - this might also affect printing depending on how your printer is set-up as it might be trying to print the bit of the page it couldn't print on the first sheet - if the printer cannot do edge-to-edge/borderless printing - onto the second sheet which might come out blank. This is a difficult concept to explain well, and I have probably not done so.)

In the end, if the pages look right in the PDF reader software then the problem is between your PDF reader and your printer, not Scribus.

carla146

at first thank so much to everybody.
If I understand precisely, I must work in scribus similarly I've worked in inkscape: page A4, one frame in the middle 24x12 cm with two text frames 12x12 cm inside.
so when I save in pdf everything is in the right place.
...and maybe I can print also from scribus and my printer doesn't go crazy.
I'll verify!
the first rule: same size page in scribus or in pdf viewer and in the printer.
perfect.
you have solved my problem.
thank you very much
ciao
carla
:-*

a.l.e

hi carla

well, you don't have to!

if know how to do it, you can have mismatches between the page size in scribus and in the printer.

but you get into troubles, it's worth to first to get them right.

in your case, the problem is that -- obviously -- you did not get a matching double face printing, since the width of the page did not match. in this specific case, a difference in the height would not have done any harm...

ciao
a.l.e

utnik

Quote from: a.l.e on February 24, 2015, 03:20:56 PMa difference in the height would not have done any harm...

...depends on the paper handling of the printer – i would suggest to deal with matching dimensions in both directions...

utnik

Nermander

Using the paper size as page size in Scribus is the easy way, you can adjust the margins so they match the final cut page size.

But this could also be handle by impositioning software, using for example jpdftweak and the N-up section (where you can scale and re-position pages). But this would most likely require that you calculate the numbers in advance. I would love to see a version of the jpdftweak N-up tab with a graphical UI (using guides and being able to input values as calculations, just as in Scribus).

Nermander

I just made a quick test here, set up a document with page size 100x250 mm, exported to PDF.

Using Adobe Reader I selected to option to automatically center the pages, not scale (print 100%) and then just printed duplex on the office laser printer here. Pages perfectly centered on the A4 sheet (they had borders and large page numbers so I could see that it was correct).