Internal cross-links: Button Action only goes to X,Y coord on a page?

Previous topic - Next topic

tuomo

I'm looking at using Scribus to make a PDF of a game rulebook. I want to use some kind of internal cross-links so that I can click on a "Q&A" text at the end of a certain rule and be taken to another part of the document that lists all the Q&A for various rules. For example:

(somewhere on page 1)
1.11   During each turn, a player can move only one of their units. [Q&A]

------------------
(somewhere on the Q&A page at the end of the rulebook)
1.11   Q: Must the player move one unit during his turn, or can he move none?
          A:  What a dumb question. Of course he can move none if he desires.

As I understand it, I can do this with an invisible Button rectangle overlaid on the "Q&A" text after the rule, where the Button's Action will take me to another page within the document (the Q&A page at the end). OK fine, but it seems really sub-optimal to have the target destination on that page only be specified by an X,Y position. When the document is updated and more Q&A are added, all of the previous X,Y positions of the various elements on that page are going to be changed.

Is there some smarter/better way to do something like this? Seems like there should be some way to have the button action simply take me to a certain named text field that corresponds to the Q&A that I want (say, the "1.11" on the Q&A itself). That would be more maintainable, since the text fields names wouldn't change if the layout of the Q&A page is changed. 

I looked at the Bookmark function and it doesn't seem set up for this - you can't Go To a bookmark by clicking on a PDF internal link.

Meho R.

Not ideal solution, but you could always group PDF button with some "relatively" fixed element. E.g., you can use one text frame for number, another for text, and create a PDF button over the text frame containing the number. Group all three elements and you'll avoid potential mess caused by changing the content and/or moving frames around. And if you organize the content per pages (planning is essential), adding and removing parts shouldn't pose too big a problem.