Link to images lost on reopening file

Previous topic - Next topic

Retired-Robin

Nearly finished my first project in Scribus. Can anybody tell me please why imported images seem to lose their link after closing then reopening a file. Putting the images in the same folder as the file works but is this really necessary. Thanks

GarryP

The usual reasons for image frames losing their images it that either the document is moved to a different folder or the images have moved (or the folder they're in has been moved or renamed, or the image has been renamed).

Scribus doesn't keep images with the document - it doesn't import them - rather, it maintains a "relative path with filename" to them on the storage device so if anything moves - or the image file is renamed - the link is broken.

For example, if you have:

- Home
--- Documents
----- newsletter.sla
--- Images
----- award.jpg
--- Archive

And - between closing the document and opening it again - you move either newsletter.sla or award.jpg to another folder (e.g. Archive), or you rename award.jpg to something else, the "link" between them will have gone and Scribus won't be able to find the file. (The same problem can also apply if you use removable media.)

P.S. By not importing the images into the Scribus file it helps to keep the document size down by quite a lot. It also lets you edit an image "on the fly" without needing to re-import the new version.

Retired-Robin

Thank you again GaryP. I can see what I have been doing wrong. I have been saving the document to my desktop for ease of coming back to it, and then dropping it into its relative folder when finished. I won't do that again!
Best regards

Nermander

Create a shortcut to the document instead if you want to be able to access it easily.

Or, instead of moving the document when you are finished, use Collect for output to place all files belonging to the document in one folder. It's a very useful function for archiving purposes.