No space between paragraphs of the same style

Previous topic - Next topic

lucabad

Hello,

as per title: is there a way to do that? In my specific case, I have created a 'Bullets' style for some bullet points, and I want the whole bullet points block, consisting of four lines and as many bullet points, to have a greater space from the preceding and subsequent paragraphs than the various bullet points have with regard to each other. I hope I haven't overlooked the relevant thread, but I couldn't find an answer online or in the forum.

Many thanks!

lucabad

utnik

hi lucabad

your question is way too cryptic for my brain – could you provide a sketch that shows what you're searching for?

utnik

lucabad

Hello utnik,

Thank you for your time and sorry about that - I didn't explain it well enough. I'm attaching an image of a text from Word which I hope will clarify what I mean. The layout of that text is similar in structure to what I am trying to reproduce in Scribus.

You will see that the bullet list is sandwiched between two paragraphs. You will notice that the spacing between the bullet list and the preceding paragraph (and indeed the subsequent paragraph as well) is much bigger than the space between one bullet point and another. This is what I am trying to reproduce in Scribus.

However, if I change the Bullet style I've created in Scribus and increase the spacing between lines, this will add space not just above the first bullet point and below the last bullet point, but in between all bullet points as well. In Microsoft Word 2013, you can avoid that by checking a box called 'Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style' in the Paragraph tab (Home menu). I was wondering whether there is a way of doing that in Scribus? I can't modify the style of the preceding and subsequent paragraph (which share the same style, used for the body of the text) because if I do so, it will change the spacing between all the paragraphs of the main (i.e. non-bulleted) text too!

I hope this clarified what I mean, please let me know if it is still unclear.

Thanks,

lucabad

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

lucabad, one simple suggestion would be to:

* Create your "Normal Bullet" style.
* Clone that style and rename the clone as "First Bullet".
* Set the "Based On" to "Normal Bullet".
* Change the "Space Above" as required.
* Repeat the Clone/Based/Space sequence for a "Last Bullet" style (changing the "Space Below" instead).

Then format your whole list as "Normal Bullet", and change the first paragraph to style "First Bullet" and the last to "Last Bullet".

It's not fancy but once it's set-up you can change "Normal Bullet" and the other styles will automatically change too.

There may be a better way of doing this but this method works well for me.

lucabad

Hi Garry,

Thank you so much. That's a very good solution!
All best wishes,

lucabad

Nermander

I think it's generally better to try to think the other way around: The bullet list has "normal" spacing, other pagaragraphs have increased spacing.

Now, if you just wanted to add space before and after the bullet list, my first thought would be "insert an empty pagaraph". I know it's an ugly solution, but it's simple:) Otherwise Garrys proposed solution works for that situation.

lucabad

Nermander,

Yes, I had thought of those solutions too. I have not created two distinct styles based on the 'Paragraph' style I use for the main body: one of them has increased spacing BELOW it, while the other increases the space ABOVE it. It seems to work perfectly.
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

lucabad