How to split shape in Scribus?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ooker

I would like to have a simple split like this in Scribus. Is there any way to do that? Note that the real shape I need to cut is more complicate than that.

Nermander

What is the original made of? There is a "cut" operation for combining polygons but I'm not very good on using that stuff. You probably need to make two copies of the shape and cut away half of each.

GarryP

Ooker, as I think Nermander was alluding to - and pardon me for sticking my nose in but I'll probably be away from my computer for a couple of days after posting this - the best process really depends on what the shape is and how it was created.

However you can cut most shapes drawn within Scribus with a bezier curve/line.

First, draw a bezier curve/line - menu "Insert -> Insert Bezier Curve" - over the shape you want to cut. (Click at start position, click at end position, then right-click to stop drawing.)
Then select both the shape and the curve/line together.
Then choose menu "Item -> Path Tools -> Cut Polygon".

As an example, the attached screenshot was one of the in-built shapes cut by a diagonal bezier line.

If the "Cut Polygon" menu item is greyed-out then you can't cut the shape that way and you'll need to use another method, possibly using the node editor but that can get complicated so try the "Cut Polygon" method first.

P.S. The "Cut Polygon" method doesn't always give the result you think it should - for various reasons I don't understand completely - so it's best to try it on a duplicate shape first.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ooker

@Nermander: I try to make a comic layout, so it will so much convenience if I can tell Scribus where to split a new frame. Like this

@GarryP: SOLVED, thank you so much. I notice that if I use Text Frame, the Cut Polygon is greyed out. The node editor doesn't help me to solve this (or I haven't used it properly?). Anyway, just draw a simple shape first, cut it then covert it to Text Frame.