How to get transparent text in a semi-transparent text frame?

Previous topic - Next topic

scribubuntu

I would like to create a text frame with white fill color with transparency (e.g. opacity 50%) and fully transparent text in the frame (so it is surrounded by the white colour) and the picture below/behind the text frame is fully visible through the text and partially through the white of the text frame. Attached you find some examples, although I prefer the white colour to be more transparent.
So far I have experimented with the text frame's options. If I set the fill color to white (text frame properties - colors), opacity to 50% and the Blend Mode to Luminosity, the result is quite satisfying when viewed in Scribus, although the transparency of the text is not 100%. Unfortunately the text in the pdf out of the file is only minimally transparent.
I did not find a possibility to set the "colour" of the text to transparent with "stitching" out the colour of the text frame, so the text will be fully transparent. Hopefully this makes sense.
Any tips are much appreciated. I searched the forum, wiki und internet, but was not successful.
Cheers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zyphon

Hi scribubuntu,

Welcome to the Scribus forum.

There is a great guy called Dai who has supplied some Scribus templates to ScribusStuff.org and has some excellent video tutorials which I have followed in the past (link below). He has around 42 videos in total and they are great tutorials in order to help you get to grips with Scribus.

The tutorial that will interest you is video 18 the one entitled: Text Over Images (link below)
http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/video?name=1250170&fromSeriesID=125

His other tutorials can be found here:
http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/series?name=NfUrduNov

I hope you find this resource as useful as I have in the past.  :)
Kind regards,

Michael

scribubuntu

Hi Zyphon!
Thanks a lot for this speedy and very helpful answer. I am excited to try it according to the tutorial!
Thanks for sharing!

GarryP

If I've understood your requirements properly, here's a quick run-down of what you can do (based on the quick mock-up I've attached):

* Create an image frame and give it an image.
* Draw a rectangle over the image.
* Change the fill colour of the rectangle to White with 60% Opacity (and line colour to None, if necessary).
* Create a text frame over the rectangle.
* Add your text as necessary.
* With the text selected, choose menu "Item -> Convert To -> Outlines".
* Then choose menu "Item -> Ungroup".
* Then choose menu "Item -> Combine Polygons".
* Then select both the text and the rectangle and choose "Item -> Path Tools -> Path Operations".
* Press the "Subtracts" button (second from left), swap items if necessary to get the correct effect, and OK the dialog.

That should get you what you want.

The text is no longer editable but it only takes a minute to re-create with new text.

Sorry about the brevity of my answer, I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment. If you need anything explaining please get back in touch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zyphon

You're very welcome. I am just glad to help out a fellow Scribus user.  :)

It is a very good tutorial and you should check out his other tutorials as he shows some nice tips on how to get the best out of Scribus.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  :)

@GarryP

A very nice and concise explanation Gary. I think you have summed it up in a nutshell.  :)
Kind regards,

Michael

scribubuntu

Hi GarryP!
Thank you also for the prompt and helpful answer. I will do it as soon as possible when I find time.
May it be helpful to many.
Cheers!

Zyphon

@scribubuntu

You will be pleased to hear I tried using the method Gary explained above and it worked like a charm! :)

Good luck.
Kind regards,

Michael

scribubuntu

It worked! Thanks to both of you. I would not have thought I would get an answer that quickly and that it would work so well.

I have just added a few minor words to the instruction, so it might be easier for a novice like me:
* Create an image frame and give it an image.
* Draw a rectangle over the image.
* Change the fill colour of the rectangle to White with 60% Opacity and line colour to None.
* Create a text frame over the rectangle.
* Add your text as necessary.
* With the text selected, choose menu "Item -> Convert To -> Outlines".
* Then select the text again.
* Then choose menu "Item -> Ungroup".
* Then choose menu "Item -> Combine Polygons".
* Then select both, first the rectangle, then the text, e.g. with the pressed shift key while clicking on the items and choose "Item -> Path Tools -> Path Operations".
* Press the "Subtracts" button (second from left), swap items if necessary to get the correct effect, and OK the dialog.

THANKS again!