Community > Showcase

First Cover + Cover Work in Progress

(1/2) > >>

soakedlontra:
Here is the first project that I have created with Scribus. It's not entirely my own creation because I followed a tutorial posted on the Scribus website. I changed few things.

Right now my major problem is how to figure out margins that work with the standard printers that are available in American stores like Office Max. Another thing that complicates things further is the fact that Americans don't use European paper sizes and the measurements are all in inches.

In the tutorial the size of the margins were in cm and I did not have to figure out the numbers. My next step is to re-design this cover and figure out those margins myself.

Good Night

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP:
Can you post a link to the tutorial please? (I'm interested in why it specifies measurements.)

On the re-design front I'd suggest - if possible - that you change the "Daily Planner 2014/2015" colour. To me it's a bit of a colour clash with the background. (And I'd be worried about how it would print.)

And I wouldn't worry about measurements if I were you. Just go with whatever looks right and don't try and be precise. Your eye will tell you what looks best, not a ruler.

Except where you have physical printer constraints that is. But if you don't know what printer will be used then you need to make each margin more than 10mm (3/8"?) for most modern printers to be reasonably sure nothing will be missed.

soakedlontra:
Thanks Garry!

Here is the link:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Quickstart

GarryP:
Thanks.

I've had a quick look at that tutorial and I can't see why it specifies measurements, particularly as it's for absolute beginners. It would seem better to me if it started off with an in-built page size and didn't make the user worry about measurements. Custom page sizes just complicate things, especially for beginners.

It's also confusing - to me at least - when it states "This is going to be about the same as US Letter size". Why "about" the same size? Why not exactly the same size? It doesn't seem right to me somehow.

Anyway, if I remember - and I have the time - I'll look at changing it. Or maybe someone else would like to volunteer?

soakedlontra:

--- Quote from: GarryP on October 20, 2014, 03:21:21 pm ---Thanks.

I've had a quick look at that tutorial and I can't see why it specifies measurements, particularly as it's for absolute beginners. It would seem better to me if it started off with an in-built page size and didn't make the user worry about measurements. Custom page sizes just complicate things, especially for beginners.

It's also confusing - to me at least - when it states "This is going to be about the same as US Letter size". Why "about" the same size? Why not exactly the same size? It doesn't seem right to me somehow.

Anyway, if I remember - and I have the time - I'll look at changing it. Or maybe someone else would like to volunteer?

--- End quote ---

Adding the measurements did not bother me and the page being about the same as an American letter size well I agree with you.

I wish that there were a series of tutorials with levels of complexity added to them gradually. I had a look but I couldn't find anything else. I'll keep looking. The step from one page to multiple pages seems rather steep to me considering that if I want to bind the pages like a book  images and text have to flow in a different order from what I am used to (Word /Publisher). To simplify  things I am thinking to create a daily-planner draft using a ring binder so  I don't have to worry about this for now. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version