Selecting column/row guides for alignment

Previous topic - Next topic

Libarch

I created 3 'automatic' vertical guides (Guide Manager -> Column/Row, Verticals Number 3) and I would like to centre a frame on the third one (at the 75% position), however it is not possible to select the guides by clicking on them, so I cannot use the Align/Distribute window. Is this normal? If so, is there another way to achieve what I want to do (ie centering an object on the right hand half of a page)?

Thank you

(I'm using Scribus 1.4.4 on Windows)

Nermander

It seems as if it's not possible to select automatically created guides for Align and distribute, only manually created.

Ooker

I suggest you create a line, snap it to the third guide, then select both the line and the shape and center the shape to the line.

Nermander

Ooker

Or leave it if you need to snap more shapes =))

Nermander

One idea could be to put the line in a separate layer, set to not print.

GarryP

How can you select a line to align to when its on a different layer? I didn't think "trans-layer selection" was possible. Or do you mean move the line to another layer when you're not using it and bring it back when you need it?

Nermander

Isn't that something you can do with Alt-click?

I just remembered that when I first started using CAD I was used to drawing by hand, using guide lines, and since the CAD program I used didn't have a built in support for guide lines I made a separate layer I used for it.

GarryP

I've just tried Shift-Click, Alt-click and Cmd+Click and none allow selection across layers on OSX. Maybe it's different on other OSes but I don't think it is. (I'd be very happy to be proved wrong as being able to do this would be very useful.)

If - as I think - it's not possible, it would be nice to have an option to allow it somehow. Maybe Shift-Alt-Click - or whatever - could bring up a little selection "menu" showing a list of all of the objects under the pointer, no matter which layer, and you could select which one you want. (Or maybe there's a much better idea; that was just off the top of my head.)

P.S. I can't remember how AutoCAD worked when I first started with it but I'm sure it had layers. I also moved to CAD from using that "plastic paper" (which I can never remember the proper name of) and pens on a lovely big board that tilted just nicely enough at lunchtimes to play "PONG" on it with a heavy rubber ball using two coasters at the bottom for paddles! Oh happy, far more simple, days...