Add alternative text for images

Previous topic - Next topic

typouser

It's there option to add alt text for images?

Nermander

Scribus primary target is print (via PDF), I can not see where an alt text would be usedful for that?

For screen readers alt text would make sense, but then you should probably be using something else than Scribus to create the PDF.

typouser

I use Scribus to create all my PDF documents - for printing and for pdf intended for screen/web. Btw: this option is available in Save as PDF.

a.l.e

hi typouser,

the first question is indeed how the alternative text is used...

can you provide details on which software uses it, how it's used, and where in the pdf specs it's defined?
having those information would help motivating the devs to work on this :-)

ciao
a.l.e

typouser

I need set alt text for accesibility PDF and for addtional text for picture. Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, etc. display alt text as tootip on picture. InDesgin and Acrobat has feature to set alt text. I'm not sure, but i think pdfmark operator is used to create alt text (pdfmark reference on Adobe web).

Nermander

Quote from: typouser on August 08, 2014, 08:51:22 AM
I use Scribus to create all my PDF documents - for printing and for pdf intended for screen/web. Btw: this option is available in Save as PDF.

You are misunderstanding the options there.

For print = CMYK PDF
For screen/web = RGB PDF

PDFs from Scribus is generally not very suitable for electronic distribution because of their size.