Combining shapes

Previous topic - Next topic

jsg91

I'm creating a poster and I've become a little stuck, at the moment I have 3 columns, with  the left and right having a curved inside border. I'm trying to make the central column also curved with the two sides maintaining the same distance all the way down. To do this I tried just copying my left and right column and combining them, however I can't get it to fill properly is there an easier way to make this central column, or a way to delete the lines inside the new shape? I really only need the curves from my original columns is it possible to cut them from the original shape? Thanks for your time.

GarryP

jsg91, is this the sort of thing you mean?

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

In anticipation of your answer - and because I'll be offline for a while - I'll go through the process very quickly.

* Draw a rectangle.
* Draw an ellipse to the left of the rectangle but overlapping the rectangle at a size and shape such that the curve that goes through the rectangle looks correct.
* "Properties / Shape" Edit...
* Icon "Open a Polygon", click on top node of ellipse.
* Icon "Open a Polygon", click on bottom node of ellipse.
* Button "End Editing"
* Click on top-right of ellipse and delete.
* Click on bottom-right of ellipse and delete.
* Duplicate the arc that you're left with and move the original to the right.
* Select duplicated arc and "Properties / X,Y,Z" "Flip Horizontal".
* Align the left of the duplicated arc to the left of the rectangle.
* Align the right of the original arc to the right of the rectangle.
* Align all objects about the vertical centre axis.
* Select left-hand (duplicate) arc and shift-select rectangle.
* Menu "Item -> Path Tools -> Cut Polygon".
* Select right-hand (original) arc and shift-select rectangle.
* Menu "Item -> Path Tools -> Cut Polygon".
* Move the left and right sections as necessary to make the gap (nudge with arrow keys?).
* Select each, right-click and choose "Convert to -> Text Frame".
* Add your text to the left-hand section.
* Link the text frames from left to right.
* Remove the outline colours if necessary.

And that should do it.

Obviously, if you want the curves the other way round you'll need to move the arcs as appropriate.

Sorry I don't have a lot of time to explain it in more detail right now but I hope you can follow it. (I hope I've not missed out any important steps.)

jsg91

That is the effect I'm looking for! I'll have a go with your guide I'm pretty sure I can follow it, thanks a lot.