is illegal use fonts form Ghostscript package for books?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupeku

is illegal use fonts form Ghostscript package for books?

GarryP

Jupeku, there are two "versions" of GhostScript that I know of.

One is distributed under GPL and the other is distributed under AFPL which is - essentially - an extension of GPL with other more "libertarian" additions but no explicit commercial licence. (It's probably a lot more complicated than that but that's my simple overview.)

I believe the latest versions of GhostScript are GPL, and the AFPL versions are all a bit old now (or I could be wrong).

Either way, any fonts in either distribution should also be GPL (or similar) so they should be fine to use in any document for most purposes (but if you're producing a book to be sold you'll have to do more checking just in case). Install the latest GPL distribution and you should be fine. (This is not legal advice!)

If in any doubt, if you're using a Mac, you can go to the Font Book, select the font - the font, not the family - you want to check and press the "Info" icon at the top-left corner. The licence information should be clear in the "Copyright" and "Licence" sections on the right.

I've no idea how you can do this on other OSes though. Maybe someone else can give a bit of info.

Jupeku

I found copyright holder but i think i earlier try ask them they dont even know these fonts ??? but there is not marked nothing about licence.

GarryP

I would be very surprised if any software distributed under GPL - or something similar - would include something that didn't conform to a licence that was at least as "open" as the software itself.

I think you have two main options:

1. Assume that the fonts included with GhostScript are free to use in any project you want without restriction.
2. Research all of the fonts you need to use, find the original author for each, and (if they remember creating them) find out what licence they were produced under.

I know which option I would choose but it's your decision.

I've never used the GhostScript fonts myself but I'm sure there are plenty of very good similar alternatives available from the many open-source font websites. If in doubt, use a font which you know for certain is free to use.

Jupeku

Many similar fonts haha many free fonts have missign Ä,Å,Ö letters what i need often. And i try contact all possible locations which are mentioned some one sayed they are not place qwhat i search and another dont know fonts...