Windows 7 - Cannot enable color management / ICC profiles

Previous topic - Next topic

deifert

Hello --

This may be something very simple, but I've just installed Scribus 1.4.4 on a standard Windows 7 computer with the usual complement of .icc profiles in /Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color.  I've enabled color management in the Preferences section, but find that I cannot enable two crucial elements.  Under PDF/X Output Intent the Output Profile and Input String are both greyed out, and under "Printer" in Preferences, the "Apply ICC Profiles" is also greyed out.  As I would like to create .pdf files with .icc profiles tuned to specific RGB printer / paper combinations, this is a bit of a roadblock  :)

Thanks in advance for any information.

Best,

-- Darrell

utnik

hi darrell

Quote from: deifert on June 06, 2014, 06:26:40 PMUnder PDF/X Output Intent the Output Profile and Input String are both greyed out...

this settings are only available when a .pdf/x is selected in the 'file options' on the 'general' tab.

utnik

deifert

"this settings are only available when a .pdf/x is selected in the 'file options' on the 'general' tab"

Thank you -- this did allow me to access the profiles under "PDF/X Output Intent".  However, even after installing the manufacturer's .icc profile for Ilford Galerie Silk / Epson 3800, I can see only options for the packaged CMYK printers.  Am I wrong in thinking that Scribus only does output color management / conversion in PDF for CMYK?

I am trying to use Scribus to create 'fine art' prints from images processed in Darktable, which has no print module.  My thought is to create a custom page size (13" x 19") with a 1" border, import an image with a standard sRGB profile, export to .PDF with Scribus handling the necessary conversion to the printer / paper color space and then print using Adobe Reader.  Is this feasible?

-- Darrell

utnik

Quote from: deifert on June 07, 2014, 04:19:19 PM...even after installing the manufacturer's .icc profile...
...I can see only options for the packaged CMYK printers.
did you install the profiles in the directory selected under 'properties' → 'general' → 'paths' → 'icc profiles'?

QuoteI am trying to use Scribus to create 'fine art' prints from images processed in Darktable, which has no print module.  My thought is to create a custom page size (13" x 19") with a 1" border, import an image with a standard sRGB profile, export to .PDF with Scribus handling the necessary conversion to the printer / paper color space and then print using Adobe Reader.  Is this feasible?
...should work...

utnik

deifert

"did you install the profiles in the directory selected under 'properties' → 'general' → 'paths' → 'icc profiles'?"

Thank you -- yes, I did, both in my Ubuntu and Windows versions.  I also installed the Illford / Galerie Epson driver using the standard Windows "Right click / Install" option. 

I still cannot see the Epson .icc profile in any of the convert-to-pdf options when choosing pdf/x.  Which I suppose leads to the general question of whether anyone has successfully printed a color-corrected image under Scribus to any printer other than a commercial CMYK.    Reading the documentation wiki I found the following line:

"When creating a pdf that only accepts CMYK, like PDFX1a, Scribus converts all RGB images to CMYK, using the provided color profile"

Does this indicate that pdf/x will only create an output for CMYK printers?  Given that the current Linux CUPS drivers (available under the normal Scribus "print" function) have no .icc color support, this would be rather vexing ...

Again, thanks for any pointers.

Best,

-- Darrell

utnik

hi darrell

.pdf/x was developed to define minimal standards for offset print files. i don't know, if there's a common .pdf/x workflow with an rgb output intent. – at least in scribus there is none...

the scribus naming system for the standard color systems is a bit strange:

• for 'screen/web' means: output in rgb (includes digital print...)
  • for 'printer' is for cmyk based systems (and/or spot colors)
i think, for your needs you have to adjust the system wide color management.

utnik