Getting started with Latex

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_p

Hi

I've got two installations of Scribus
- Windows XP running version 1.4.0rc3
- Ubuntu with version 1.5svn (because of the simple availability of the binaries!)

On either (or both) I'd like to use LaTeX

For those platforms, what is the minimum installation of LaTeX I need?

On windows I've tried installing MiKTeX then in Scribus preferences/external tools running rescan
but it hasn't found LaTeX. Is MiKTeX suitable and if so how should I configure Scribus to find it.

Similarly on Ubuntu what should I do?

Meho R.

I can't comment about Windows, but on Ubuntu you should be able to install TeXLive from repositories (open Synaptic and search for texlive). However, you might want to check the version of TeXLive in Ubuntu's repositories, since in Debian's repos it's 2009, which is a little bit old (current version is 2010 and 2011 is in testing phase, soon to be released). Another option would be to download TeXLive ISO image and install it manually (by mounting the image or burning it to DVD; there are three installation schemes: minimal, basic and full. I'd go at least with basic).

Both of these installation methods should make all necessary symbolic links, so that binaries are found by applications who need them (including Scribus).

mike_p

Thanks for the help with the Ubuntu installation. Your recommendation (not surprisingly) worked perfectly.

Now to get the Windows version running....

Admin

Quote from: mike_p on June 16, 2011, 12:52:26 PM
Hi

I've got two installations of Scribus
- Windows XP running version 1.4.0rc3
- Ubuntu with version 1.5svn (because of the simple availability of the binaries!)

On either (or both) I'd like to use LaTeX

For those platforms, what is the minimum installation of LaTeX I need?

On windows I've tried installing MiKTeX then in Scribus preferences/external tools running rescan
but it hasn't found LaTeX. Is MiKTeX suitable and if so how should I configure Scribus to find it.

Similarly on Ubuntu what should I do?

I hope you are not using 1.5.0svn for any important work. It's a version built from the cutting edge code. If you care about your documents you should not be running it. The easy availability of binaries applies to the 1.4.0rcX version as well. Please see http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Ubuntu. That version is the next stable release and is what you should be using for actual preparation of your documents.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

mike_p

I'm using 1.5.0svn on ubuntu just 'cos I can!  ;D

I wanted to see what new features etc are coming. My main interest is to see what can be done with scripting. I hope to start building from svn and to start contributing to the development effort, but I'll probably set up a Centos box for that as I'm more at home developing on Centos than Ubuntu. My experience in DTP goes back to using Ventura Publisher in the early nineties.

Meanwhile I'm using 1.4.0rc3 for serious work.

Admin

Quote from: mike_p on June 18, 2011, 10:04:43 PM
I'm using 1.5.0svn on ubuntu just 'cos I can!  ;D

I wanted to see what new features etc are coming. My main interest is to see what can be done with scripting. I hope to start building from svn and to start contributing to the development effort, but I'll probably set up a Centos box for that as I'm more at home developing on Centos than Ubuntu. My experience in DTP goes back to using Ventura Publisher in the early nineties.

Meanwhile I'm using 1.4.0rc3 for serious work.

You know that w have rc5 in the Scribus Archive for Debian/Ubuntu releases now, right?
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

mike_p

QuoteYou know that w have rc5 in the Scribus Archive for Debian/Ubuntu releases now, right?
Yes thanks. I'm actually using 1.4.0rcX on the windows platform and have just installed rc5. It seems very good. I haven't seen any problems yet. Am I right in thinking there are some improvements in the paragraph styles?

Meanwhile I'm still looking for advice on getting latex (and POVRAY) to work in rendering frames on 1.4.0rc5 on Windows XP.