Shifted Images and textboxes upon printing and pdf-export

Previous topic - Next topic

torsten

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and also to scribus and maybe not surprinsingly hit a major bump. So I thought I could maybe find some help here.

First Setup:
default: Scribus 1.4.3 on a Windows 8.1 machine, Printerdriver for the dell 511cn installed and working, no ghostscript or with ghostscript, tried both.
Test 1: HyperV Virtualmachine with Windows 7 and scribus 1.4.3 no ghostscript or with ghostscript
Test 2: Different Computer,  Windows 7 and scribus 1.4.3 with ghostscript, cannon IP4950 inkjet printer

As the title states, I have some difficulties with printing and exporting a document from scribus. I created a booklet (20 pages) for my girlfriend with images and a textbox on each side. The pages are DIN A5 but I arrange two pages on one DIN A4 page (yielding 10 pages in scribus), everything is setup in the right order and so on, so i can just staple the printed pages and have the booklet.
Now comes the problem. When I export to pdf or print directly out of scribus everything is displaced by approx. 1.5cm to the left and 1.5cm up. I tried the same with just one DIN A4 page, with lines, characters and squares on it, everything in black and white, same problem. I figured that only when I use the PostScript Level 3 option in the printing interface of scribus the displacement is minimal. But with this setup the colors are completely off, whereas with the Windows GDI Option colors are good but the displacement is back.
For the pdf-export, the displacement is always there and I haven't found a way to get rid of it.
This results are valid for all setups that I have tried so far (see above).
However, with that problem, I cannot work with scribus, which is a pitty since I think it is a great programm.

Does anyone have any sugestions, I can also provide the files, of course with out the images, if that helps.

So sorry for my crappy english and hopefully there is a solution to this.

Thanks in advance for your help and your advice

Cheers

Torsten

Nermander

Since it's not all clear how you have set the document up in Scribus, could you post a sample .sla file? You can remove any content, just make sure the frames are in place (you could fill them with Lorem ipsum or something).

torsten

Please find attached the .sla file. I took the booklet and substituted all text with lore ipsum and all images with the black.jpg, see second attachement. Hopefully you can clarify, where I am stuck :-)

Happy easter

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi torsten

i just took a look at your .sla file.
most of your images (black frames) are shifted to the left side.
the only exeptions are the first page (first and last of your final booklet) and the right side of the 4th one.
when you export a .pdf file from this .sla, all the images on the left pages will be placed near the outer edge while those on the right pages are shifted towards the inner edge.
if this is your problem, then it's not something scribus does wrong – there is no 'layout intention guessing and correction routine'...

if the problem is something else, we need a 'how it should be' and a 'how it is' file.

btw. i would set up the booklet in double page layout with normal page arrangement and then print as a booklet (adobe reader has this option as well as many printer drivers...) with this you could see your final double pages while working on the layout.
and i recommend to work with a standard set of guides or a layout grid...

utnik

torsten

Thanks utnik for the fast response and sorry for my delayed answer. I got a bit sick over the holidys, so there was no chance to write.
But I think I didn't describe my problem well enaugh. so I'll try again.
If we look at the first page of my .sla file. The two black.jpg's are positioned at 40/116mm and 162.5/68.5mm for x/y with respect to their upper left corner. Upon printing with postscript positioning is approx. fine but from my experience with the real file I know that the colors are bad (too dark and a greyish overall look) and I hace found any colormanagement setting or profile, that would fix that. On the other hand, if printed with the windows GDI option, the boxes are at approx 30/105cm and 151/60 but colors are good. :-( so in the print the boxes are shifted with respect to the file. If i make a pdf and print it, the boxes are on the same spot as for the print with the Windows GDI option. So that is my trouble.
Just a fyi, the reason, why the boxes in the .sla are on a different spot on each page is because of the original content (pictures of objects), Here the object is sometimes not perfectly centered in the image as well as some objects have a shape that makes the look like sitting more on the left or right. As a result, each box on each side is positioned in way to give a proper page layout with respect to the depicted object. So I don't expect scribus to magically anlign everything although it would be marveleous invention to have a :quote  'layout intention guessing and correction routine'... :/quote.  ;)

Torsten

torsten

Args. Just realized that I forgot to respond to the question for reference and comparison files. I can't do that right now since I went to see my family for the holidays, which is equal to IT stoneage so no printer or scanner. I'll provide the files when I return home end of next week.

Cheers

Torsten