Text frames in new document/master page

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMoyle

Hi -- SERIOUS newbie here -- Which is amusing to be able to say, since I have been doing illustration and document design since the days that Aldus owned Pagemaker and Freehand, but there you go...

Anyway...

I want to set up a document with mirrored page layouts, a footer with automatic page numbering, and text frames already in place so that I can just dump in text and format it.

It LOOKS like I can either:

1 -- set up master pages for the page layouts, then insert the individual text frames and link them all manually, OR;

2 -- create a new document with NO master pages, but with text frames already in place and linked, then insert the FOOTERS manually.

What I'm NOT seeing is something between those two where, say, I can create the master pages, put the text frame on the FIRST page, and tell Scribus to make as many pages as needed based on the left- and right-hand master pages with similarly-sized text frames in place, linked and populated with my text.

Is there some way to do this that I'm just missing, or is it simply not there?

For background: This is supposed to be a (roughly) 50-page process guide book that is likely to have many (but relatively minor) text changes over its lifetime. My goal is to design and layout the FIRST iteration of the book, then give the people who will be overseeing the changes the book file and copies of Scribus all around so they can make their own edits (since InDesign is too expensive to buy (or, really, RENT, now) for all of the people who might be making the changes).

Any advice on an easy way to do this (I'll even take easy-ish! I'm not proud!), or am I doing it all by hand?

utnik

hi mike

you cann't create a document with no master pages!
for your needs i suggest to create a new document in double page layout with automatic text frames, then go to 'edit' → 'master pages' and set the elements you need on all your left pages on the left master page and what you need on the right ones you put on the right master page and you're done...

utnik

Nermander

Master pages in Scribus are NOT some kind of page templates. Master pages are "page background".

So, you can add header and footer, pager numbering etc on the Master pages, but for editable text frames you should have a look at how the scrapbook works.

Automatic text frames may be an option, but as far as I know that feature just inserts ONE frame on each page, and the size of that frame is set by the page margins.