need to figure these specs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmax

Hey anyone,

I just started using Scribus today and it looks like a great program. Only problem I created a pic & text project but it has to be adjusted to exact specifications. Can someone show/tell me how? Here are the specs:

Color CMYK
Bleed Size 8.75" x 5.75" (ad is a horizontal half page)
Trim Size 8.5" x 5.5"
Safe Zone 8.25" x 5.25"
Resolution 300dpi
Format InDesign-compatible

Thanks for your time!
Ironmax 

utnik

hi ironmax

• you have to set up a new 8.5" x 5.5" file with 0.125" bleeds (and 0.125" margins if you need guides for the safe zone)
  • whike you export your .pdf file, take care that 'save as pdf' → 'pre-press' → 'bleed settings' → 'use document bleeds' is checked!
  • under 'save as pdf' → 'general' → 'maximum image resolution' you define your 300dpi (works only if the images are big enough – there's no 'blow-up' functon...)
  • don't know what cmyk profile you need (ask your print shop, define it in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'color management' – then 'save as pdf' → 'color' → 'output for printer' will do the job)
  • do you know wich .pdf format they expect? (if they need a .pdf/x-1a you'll run in problem with scribus 1.4.3...)
i have no idea what an 'InDesign-compatible format' means (and i suspect, whoever told you this won't know it either...)
utnik

Ironmax

Utnik,
Thanks so much for responding!

So exactly what page and link(s) do I go to to set up a new 8.5" x 5.5" file with 0.125" bleeds?
If you can provide step by step "dummy" explanation, I would appreciate.  :)

And if there's no "Indesign" format, what formats can I export Scribus file?
Thanks.

utnik

hi ironmax

for the setup take a look at my screenshot.
the standard output format is .pdf (1.3, 1.4, 1.5 or x-3) – but you can export your layout as .eps or as an image as well...
for more informations try the online doku...
utnik

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ironmax

Hi Utnik,
Thanks for your response again.
Call me crazy but I think the shape of the file is supposed to be horizontal, and your specs make a vertical file.
How do I adjust?
-Max

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi max

what is your target? – do you intend to lay out a file for binding at the top edge, or should it be a book in landscape format with binding on the left?
if your project should be with top binding, you'll need a little hack – scribus doesn't support top binding...

utnik

Ironmax

its supposed to be a half page horizontal shaped ad similar to the ones in this mag:
http://issuu.com/granfondony/docs/gfny2013 

utnik

hi max

ok. – sorry!
in this case you chose orientation: 'landscape' instead of 'portrait' (on the upper right side of my screenshot...)

utnik