Send to new layer

Previous topic - Next topic

mnawij

I am not sure if this is the right board or if it should go under the features board.  I would like to be able to select objects and have an option 'send to new layer', which it will actually create the new layer and the place the selected objects on it.  Right now when I have objects selected and click that [add layer +] button it de-selects my selection, then I have to switch back to the previous layer, re-select the objects --> click send to 'layer...'.  If this can be done, how?  If not, could a moderator move this to the 'feature request'.  ???

Thanks.

GarryP

mnawij, I think - as you suspected - that this is more of a feature request then anything else. (I'm assuming that the [add layer +] button you mentioned is the one on the "Layers" palette.)

I agree that the functionality you suggest would be nice to have at some point in the future - if it's not already being worked on - but my general advice at the moment would be to create the layer before you select the objects you want to move to it. You most probably already know you need a new layer before you select what's going to be on it so that's not too much hassle.

One thing you can do, if you use layers a lot, could be to create a lot of empty layers when you start a new document. Just keep pressing the + button a half-dozen times or so and the layers will be there when/if you need them. If you send stuff to a layer remember to rename it so you know it's an "active" layer otherwise it could get a bit confusing.

Empty layers take up almost no resources - compared to even a small image - so having them lying around shouldn't cause a problem except if you forget what's on what layer and you start deleting them. However, you can always use "View -> Show Layer Indicators" to show you what's where.

It's not a brilliant solution but it might work for you.

mnawij

GarryP

Thanks for the help.  I was just looking to speed things up when designing. Do you know if this post could be moved to the feature request board or do I have to submit a new post there?

mnawij

GarryP

Sorry mnawij, I don't know if it is possible to move a topic to another subject area.

I wouldn't create a duplicate topic elsewhere as it would just confuse things. With two topics on the same thing it can get in a muddle very quickly.

You could try reporting this topic to a moderator (using the relevant icon) and asking them to move it but I'm not sure if that would achieve anything in the long run.

It's my understanding that the developers don't really read this forum very often so feature requests added here probably won't be seen by them.

I'd usually recommend getting a login for the Mantis bug tracker http://bugs.scribus.net/login_page.php and adding the request there but that's not been possible for quite some time - for whatever reason - and I don't know when, if ever, that option will be available again.

Your other options are as follows:

A) You could try the #scribus channel of irc.freenode.net and see if someone can help you further - they're a very friendly bunch but you might have to wait some time before someone is available to answer you.
B) You could try the Scribus mailing lists http://lists.scribus.info/mailman/listinfo/scribus but the conversations there tend to get a bit technical. You might be okay with that though.

I realise that's not much help.

Garry.

mnawij

hmmmm... thanks for the advice GarryP. I am really starting to put Scribus through the paces in a 'professional' setting and was hoping to share my findings, but if it is as you say that the developers are not much on this forum and Mantis does not allow for new members, it is kind of disappointing. Read an article on 'other' ways to contribute besides coding to FOSS and thought to myself, that is something I can do... I just finished reading 2 books on Scribus, 3 on GIMP, and 2 on Inkscape and I am hammering away approximately 50% of all projects coming across my desk with these FOSS apps.  Never tried a mailing list, maybe I will give that a shot.

Thanks again,

mnawij