Adding objects to existing groups

Previous topic - Next topic

guenzi2

Hello everybody!
Is it possible to add objects into former created groups? Because it is a little laborious to ungroup, inserting an object and regroup them afterwards.
Would be great if you could help me.

Regards

GarryP

[Edit] The answer I give here doesn't quite answer the question as asked but it may still be useful to someone so I'll leave it in. However, see utnik's answer below for the real answer to the actual question.

It's very easy to add other objects to an existing group.

* Just select the object you want to add to the group, then shift-select the group, then right-click on anything selected and choose "Group".

* Or you can choose the group, then shift-select the other object(s), then right-click on anything selected and choose "Group".

* Or you can drag-select everything you want grouped - including the existing group - and right-click choosing "Group".

In all of the above, you can use CMD+G (on OSX, maybe CTRL+G on Windows, not sure on Linux) instead of right-clicking and choosing "Group".

Basically just keep adding to your selection with shift-click, then group them using whatever method you prefer.

This all works when adding single objects, multiple objects, or other groups.

utnik

hi guenzi

all the solutions mentioned by garryP wont really add the new object to the primary group – there will be a new group which contains the primary group and the new added object.
if your goal is to have only one group level, you should select the group and all the objects you like to add. now you ungroup and regroup the selection – afaik there's no shortcut.

utnik

GarryP

Oops, sorry, I misread the question. (That's what happens if you're not concentrating.) I've edited my earlier post to point to utnik's better answer above.

mnawij

Utnik is correct as far as I know, but here is a trick that I use...

1. Create New Layer - Group (name whatever is useful)
2. Select Previous Group ITEM-->SEND TO LAYER 'Group'
3. Move New Object(s) to said layer
4. (optional) Lock all other layers
5. Ungroup & Regroup all objects
6. Move newly created group back to art layer

This just keeps everything organized so nothing is added or lost.  It adds a minute or two but well worth it if you have dozens of objects on a page.