Why doe Style Manager nest styles when I don't want it too?

Previous topic - Next topic

macdude

I have about six paragraph styles I am working with. But creating them has been very tedious. I am using Scribus 1.4.3 on windows 8. I can't seem to make a new paragraph style without it being nested under one of the previous styles I have created. Every once in a while I can get it to work, but 9 out of 10 times the style will either become nested or it will nest the other styles that I have created under it. And that messes up all other formats. I have just been closing the program so they don't get saved. Deleting makes a bigger mess and require more time fixing what got changed.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bug that needs to be worked out?

macdude

Seems like I have figured out a fix.
Select New "paragraph style" (don't change anything at this point just click the done button)
Highlight the "New Style" that is now in the list. click "Edit"
Change character style -> click done again
Now if seems I can change everything else and it sticks as a top level style and no nesting occurs. Changing more than one thing before hitting done the first time results in a nested mess.

GarryP

macdude, I've never noticed a similar problem using 1.4.3 - or earlier versions - on OS X. And I've never had to go through all of the steps you've listed as a fix.

The only way - if Scribus is working correctly - that a style should be "nested" is if the "Based On" field is filled. If the style isn't based on anything the style should be listed as a "root" style, i.e. directly under the Default Paragraph Style without indentation.

Would it be possible for you to provide a document that exhibits the issue so it can be examined?

macdude

Quote from: GarryP on December 19, 2013, 01:26:25 PM
macdude, I've never noticed a similar problem using 1.4.3 - or earlier versions - on OS X. And I've never had to go through all of the steps you've listed as a fix.

The only way - if Scribus is working correctly - that a style should be "nested" is if the "Based On" field is filled. If the style isn't based on anything the style should be listed as a "root" style, i.e. directly under the Default Paragraph Style without indentation.

Would it be possible for you to provide a document that exhibits the issue so it can be examined?
It is very odd. I have not tried to recreate the problem on OSX. I have just recently switched to back to windows after 10 years. So I was looking for a good cross platform solution for page layout. I have looked at scribus before but never really learned how to use it. I have done tons of beta testing though and this seems like a bug. I just opened up a new document and it does the samething. It seems like it happens if you have a similar name it is more likely to nest the styles. Like Other and Other2, what is strange is that it does not just put one of the styles under the new style it nests all of them.

I have attached the file that I was working on.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi macdude

when i open your file, all the paragraph styles are independent (see screenshot) – i don't see any problem...

utnik

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

I concur with utnik.

I've tried your document with Scribus 1.4.3 on OSX and Windows XP, and with Scribus 1.4.2 on Ubuntu and - apart from some font substitutions (which are to be expected) - the styles look fine. None are nested.

Sorry but I can't replicate your problem either.

macdude

Quote from: GarryP on December 20, 2013, 02:17:55 PM
I concur with utnik.

I've tried your document with Scribus 1.4.3 on OSX and Windows XP, and with Scribus 1.4.2 on Ubuntu and - apart from some font substitutions (which are to be expected) - the styles look fine. None are nested.

Sorry but I can't replicate your problem either.
I sent the file that does not have the nested styles. Did you try to create a new style? That is where the problem occurs. When I get a chance I will send a screen cast of what is happening.

utnik

no problem to create a new independent style in your file on macOS 10.6.8 with scribus 1.4.3 – nothing unexpected happens...

utnik