Font Reference Sheet

Previous topic - Next topic

davidvj

Is there some way that I can print a 'font reference sheet' so that I can get a better idea of how the fonts will look?

utnik

hi david

there are many free and commercial tools for this purpose – search the internet for: font catalog creator and your operating system...

utnik

GarryP

Alternatively or also, depending on your circumstances, your local library might have a font/style reference book.

These - generally - have one font per page and show different variants at various sizes for easy comparison.

Some also put different fonts on one page to show how good - or bad - font mixes affect the look and feel of a page.

(There are also many books on the history of typeface design that may give some further inspiration.)

Just type "font reference" or "typeface guide" or something similar into something like Amazon for a big list of possibilities, then see if your library has any copies.

Getting a book from a library will be a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than printing out loads of sheets of fonts. However, the books won't necessarily use the same fonts as you have installed so, in those cases, utnik's answer would probably be best - but it's worth having a look at them anyway.

davidvj

Thanks .... My interest is in viewing the built-in fonts that come with Linux Scribus.
A library font book will not be of much value there.

If I remember 'pagemaker' allowed one to print out a test sheet that displayed the built-in fonts.
That is really what I was looking for.

David

utnik

hi david
Quote from: davidvj on December 10, 2013, 12:06:48 AM...to print out a test sheet that displayed the built-in fonts.
That is really what I was looking for.
...it's what a font catalog creator does...

utnik