I design stamp album pages using Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

apastuszak

I have been designing stamp album pages using Scribus for the last 2+ years.  I have actually complete all modern stamps from Ukraine, and use it for all sorts of other stamp pages designs.  I'm in no way a graphic artists.  Just a guy who likes to tinker.

I make everything, including the Scribus files available on my web site for download:

http://www.stamphacks.com

Here's a sample page:

utnik

hi apastuzak

i'm not collecting stamps, but your work looks impressive!
just one suggestion: in order to avoid disturbing gaps between the words, you should always hyphenate all justified text blocks (or align the text to the left...)
i would never set narrow columns with justified, but not hyphenated text in a page layout...

utnik

apastuszak

utnik

Quote from: apastuszak on January 31, 2014, 08:43:49 PM
Those text boxes are all hyphenated.

i see – sorry!
but you didn't select the correct (english) dictionary for your hyphenation.
otherwhise (and with a little tweaking on the advanced settings,) the text sould look more or less like my attached screenshot...

utnik

[attachment deleted by admin]

apastuszak

Ok, so I have English selected.  That's the default.  Is there more I need to do other than that?

apastuszak

Well, that explains a heck of a lot.  The app hyphenator was set to English.  But the document was set to Greek for some reason.

utnik

Quote from: apastuszak on January 31, 2014, 10:00:41 PMThe app hyphenator was set to English.  But the document was set to Greek for some reason.

ok, then everything is clear...
...and for optimal results take a look at 'optical margins' and 'advanced settings' too.

utnik

apastuszak

Thank you!  I will take a look at those later tonight!

I did pages for US Stamps using Adobe Source Sans Pro: