Add/Delete Page not functioning correctly. My bad I'm sure

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylie Sabra

I've laid out a 39 page document--a magazine.  All has gone well until now. When I add a page after a page, instead it adding it below, it's sticking it out on the side.  It is a new page, but if I then delete the page it messes up the rest of the layout.  Blank pages to the left of EVERY page. 

I should sleep more. 

Screen shots attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi kylie

your first screenshot looks a bit strange:
it's the working space of a file with a single page layout, but the 'insert page' window lists left and right master pages.
did you change the document setting from double pages to single pages?

if you could upload the .sla file somewhere, i would like to take a look at it!

btw. what's your scribus version and operating system?

utnik

Kylie Sabra

As far as I know I've not changed any settings. This is my first time using Scribus.  Here's a link to the doc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6WF8NkOyoV4WllGa3lZd1dlQUk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for your help.

utnik

hi kylie

i took a closer look at your file – there are at least two different problems:
your images are spread over the double sides. in the logic of the xml-tree they have been positioned on the left pages and overlap on on the right side for another seven inches.
when you inserted the new page '16', the box 'move objects with their page' took all the overlapping images to the right. now the left pages are empty and the overlapping parts run out of the document. with your full spread images, you should always insert or delete an even number of pages – otherwhise it will ruin your layout!
the second problem is: two of your pages are 14" wide, the rest 7" and the masterpages 'normal left' and 'normal right' something around 11.7" (see screenshots...)

i don't know, how this occurred, but on your first screenshot in the opening post you just imported one of this 14" wide pages between 7" wide ones – be careful!

utnik

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kylie Sabra

How do I handle it when say,  pages 3 & 4 are single-page layouts, but page 5&6 is really a one picture layout.

utnik

hi kylie

your file is set as double sided – this is ok!

if it's a novel (linked text frames), it doesn't matter, if you insert a page somewhere. the text from a right page will look well on a left one...
but if your work contains images spread over two pages (or another real page design), you always have to insert, move or delete an even number of pages to keep facing pages together.
you may have tryed to do this by inserting a page twice as wide as the other ones. (i didn't think about this before) – the correct way is to insert two pages. otherwise scribus will put the wider side beside a normal one (and the printer needs some magic methods to cut a sheet of paper with different widths on front and backside...)

utnik

Kylie Sabra

That is exactly what I did.  Trying to find a good tutorial on this, but no luck. I need to have some pages with a single layout and some with a double.  So add 2 pages always. Then not sure how to get my two-page spreads to work right. 

If you know of a good tutorial, shoot it my way.

Thanks for your help.

utnik

hi kylie

you can arrange your pages as you did before inserting the wider ones, and you may spread some images across facing pages.
all this is ok, as long as you treat them as inseparable pairs of facing pages! inserting, moving and deleting of such pairs of pages won't destroy your layout.

open your old file (the one you posted here) and klick on the icon with the eye in the lower right corner of your scribus window (preview mode) to see, what happend with your layout...

unfortunately, i don't know lots of good tuts for scribus – sorry!

utnik