Line Spacing

Previous topic - Next topic

ehjohns

OK, I'm designing a business card.  I'm having a problem with line spacing on the 8 pt text at the bottom 2 lines, you know, the phone no.etc. There's too much space between the lines when I send it to the text frame from story editor. ? is how to reduce this extra space  I've tried every thing I know.  Any advice?  Also how do you group everything together on the card to make multiple copies?  Thanks.

tduell

I am using 1.5.0svn so not sure if this will apply to your version.
If I select the text frame, then go to Windows > Properties, under "Text" I see "Fixed linespacing" and it is set at "15.00pt" but the value can be nudged up and down as required.
Does that help?

Cheers,
Terry

ehjohns

Thanks Terry.  It does indeed work with my version.  It was driving me nuts for a while.

GarryP

As you're designing a business card with the same thing repeated over a page you might want to have a look at using Styles.

They're a bit complicated if you've not used them before but they're well worth getting to know.

You can create a Paragraph Style with a certain linespacing - and font/colour/etc. - then apply that style to the text as required (either in the Story Editor or via the Properties palette Text tab).

If you change your mind about the linespacing - or anything else about the text style - you can make the change in one place (the Styles Editor) and the change will "ripple" through all the text using that style.

If you've got access to the Scribus manual - menu "Help -> Scribus Manual..." - enter "paragraph" in the search box and select "Working with Styles" from the list.

ehjohns

Thanks so much for your help.  As a beginner, sometimes even the simplest functions can baffle one for a while, such as, using the shift key to select more than one object in order to group objects.  Just so you know, your help is appreciated.

GarryP

You're welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance.

If you haven't already been through it - and this is for any beginners reading this - I would advise looking at the Scribus Tutorial on the Wiki http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Get_Started_with_Scribus

It might take a while to plough through it all - its quite extensive - but it will be of benefit in the long term. You might not remember all of it - I certainly don't - but something might "ring a bell" when you need it.

Having said that, please keep asking questions on the forum. It's better to ask what may turn out to be a basic question than to sit silently pulling your hair out over something that can be fixed with a quick posting. (I freely admit to asking some very silly questions myself, and some not too long ago either!)

P.S. Another quick - and very useful - tip is to use the arrow keys to nudge selected objects for fine-tuning their positions without using the mouse. (You can also use the arrow keys with a combination of Alt/Shift/Ctrl to nudge smaller/larger distances and enlarge/shrink frames too.) Go to menu "Help -> Scribus Manual...", put "shortcut" into the search box, and select "Keyboard Shortcuts" from the list to get all kinds of help with the keyboard.