Center (horizontal) alignment off-center

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonPub

Greetings. Newbie. Thank you for your patience & your expertise. I have diligently searched the internet for this problem, but every single hit I've ever found is for vertical alignment, not horizontal. I'm surprised I don't find it, but maybe it's a peculiarity of my system.

Right-click text frame.
Content Properties.
Align Text Center.

Result: "Centered" text is always offset to the right, regardless of content or length of text. Also regardless of left-facing or right-facing page. Left & Right Text Distances both zero.

Sample enclosed. Page number (doesn't matter if it's auto-generated page number or static text) is offset to the right. Page number is 1, greyish region on left marks off halfway point across text frame. Not just a WYSIWYG problem, because I pulled the screenshot from the resulting PDF. I doubt it has anything to do with the printer, but it's Epson L-555 FWIW. Font doesn't seem relevant.

Expected: the text (page number) should be centered on the half-way point of the text frame.

I could work around page numbering problem by justifying left on left-facing pages & right on right-facing pages. But trying same for headers containing book title & chapter title would look weird. They too are all off-center. Trying to shrink text frame down to contents then centering that seems kludgy and maybe error-prone, not to mention tedious.

Advice & insights appreciated.

AdmFubar

Scribus version and os version would help.

Also a sample of the file will really help.

Off hand i'd say you might have a leading white space stuck in in there. Have you checked?
View/Text Frames/Control Characters
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Aleks100

Have you checked indentation in paragraph style?

DragonPub

Quote from: Aleks100 on August 31, 2023, 01:37:43 PMHave you checked indentation in paragraph style?

Thank you! It was "Default Paragraph", which contains an indent.

Created new paragraph style for centered text.

DragonPub

Quote from: AdmFubar on August 31, 2023, 04:42:40 AMScribus version and os version would help.

Also a sample of the file will really help.

Off hand i'd say you might have a leading white space stuck in in there. Have you checked?
View/Text Frames/Control Characters

Thank you for your suggestions. It was an indent inherited from default style.

AdmFubar

Hmmm it seems your default paragraph style is altered in some manner.
I had a page set up in scribus on my system and added a page number to it. Applied the default style and which left justified the text.  I selected the text and centered it. No extra space in front of it.  I wonder what is happening with it. What version of scribus are you using?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist