Hide Background Template for Prepress PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Mattice

I am currently working on a book cover using a PNG template.  I create the document importing the PNG as a "background" layer and locking it.  I create another new layer and place my text and images.  Once everything is ready to save as a PDF, I've locked the top layer and unchecked the seeing eye on the background, saving as a PDF.

I've tried every combination in the layers section and have not found the problem addressed any where.  When I open the PDF the background template still appears and would potentially print.   How do I "hide" or make it so the background does not save as part of the PDF?

Also, the instructions for use of the book cover template refer to using an "image editing software," it appears this is a function of Scribus, am I correct?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Meho R.

Craig Mattice

Thank you for the visual.  I always learn better visual than reading.  I was able to correct the problem with the template printing beneath the cover on the PDF by unchecking to hide and print on both the background and template.  Checked on see, print and lock on the cover.  I also checked lock on the background and template.

When I converted to PDF and looked at it only the cover appeared.  I am assuming this is what I would download to CS when ready to do so.  I also caught that my front cover photo image had to be adjusted from 96 dpi to 350 dpi.

I am teaching myself this DTP software as I have only used MS Office products, not including Paint, previously, so this is a new experience but I am really liking the full flexibility and comprehensiveness of the software.

Scribus vs. MS Office or PhotoScape the fonts are all True Type and the colors are solid RGB or CMY... vs. any chance of the program just creating a color that may not transfer.

One last point.  It would have been a tremendous help if somewhere in the basic instructions for using the CS Cover Template they came right out and said to place the template on a 11 x 17" document and not to adjust the size of the template to the document.  I had to learn that important fact by spending a couple of hours on the discussions answered.

Thank you again for the assistance.
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Meho R.

Basically, "Make Layer Visible" checkbox is there only to temporarily show or hide content of a layer in Scribus. Note that this checkbox doesn't affect printing and/or exporting to PDF in any way, i.e., even if you hide a layer, but "Print Layer" checkbox for that layer isn't ticked off, you'll get full content of the hidden layer printed and/or exported to PDF. So, if you want to hide something in the output, on paper and/or in PDF document, then you'll have to tick off "Print Layer" checkbox.

Note on colors: If "Output intended for: Printer" is activated in PDF export dialog, tab "Colors", then all colors will be automatically converted to CMYK. If "Output intended for: Screen / Web" is activated, then conversion will not occur.

Note on fonts: Scribus handles fonts very nicely, be those TTF or OTF. Here's just a tip regarding OTF fonts: if you want to embed an OTF font instead of subsetting it, then in File > Preferences > Fonts tick off "Subset" for that font. Don't forget to always check PDF export dialog for fonts to make sure they are correctly embedded, otherwise prepare for unpleasant surprises ;)

Note on printing: Never print directly from Scribus. Always export your document to PDF and print from Adobe Reader (or any other PDF reader).

Note on graphics: Make sure that resolution of included images is at least 300dpi, if you're planning to print the document. Also note that Scribus does not (normally) embed images, but rather create links to them, so, if you move or rename images (or folders containing them), the links will be broken and you'll end up with empty image frames in Scribus.

Note on files transfer: When transferring your project to another computer, use "File > Collect for output". This way you can be sure that all necessary files are collected and transferred safely. Sending plain .sla file isn't enough.

Best of luck :)

Craig Mattice

Quote from: Meho R. on May 30, 2011, 12:02:55 AM
Note on graphics: Make sure that resolution of included images is at least 300dpi, if you're planning to print the document. Also note that Scribus does not (normally) embed images, but rather create links to them, so, if you move or rename images (or folders containing them), the links will be broken and you'll end up with empty image frames in Scribus.

Best of luck :)
This is excellent information, easily understood and well presented.  I understand everything you have recommended and I am doing  it that way.  The above is my only concern because I am using my own photo image for the front cover.  It transfers to the PDF very well, but how can I tell it will download satisfactorily to print well at CS?

Mecho, this info has been extremely helpful.  :)

Thank you,
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Nermander

That is very easy.

You know the size of the image (in pixels), don't you?

Let's assume the picture is 3000x4000 pixels (that's about 12 megapixel).

And you know the physical dimensions of the page, don't you?

Let's assume the page is 6x8 inches

3000/6 = 500 PPI

4000/8 = 500 PPI

500 PPI would be ok.

Now, let's assume the picture is only 1500x2000 pixels (about 3 megapixel), but still printed the same size.

1500/6 = 250 PPI

(or 2000/8 = 250 PPI)

Now, if you use your own numbers you will see whether the resolution is high enough.

I am using the term PPI  (Pixels Per Inch) here because we are talking about pixels. The term DPI (Dots Per Inch) is usually not correct to use unless we know the printing method and the resterization. For most printing methods one Pixel is represented by printing several Dots in a pattern.

Craig Mattice

I used your method and formula, but admit I really don't understand it or have ever seen it before.  Here is what my information include:  My trim is 6 x 9

3652/6 = 595 PPI

3652/9 = 408 PPI

3.7 MB

This yields and average resolution of 501 PPI, so I guess I'm in good shape.

I was not aware of the challenges associated with DPI vs. PPI.  I appreciate you reading and responding to my post.  This whole experience has been one continuous learning process with something new everyday.
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Meho R.

Simply put (without intention to be exact in technical sense):

1. Quality of an image is determined by (among other things) its size, its resolution, measured in PPI.
2. The size of an image when printed (or exported to PDF), its "printed resolution", is determined by DPI.
3. Changing DPI (if done correctly) doesn't have any effect on image quality or its size/resolution, but does have effect on its printed size.

In practice, you can import an image into Scribus without paying attention to DPI at all, and then scale it to desired dimensions. If after that in "Properties > Image" dialog "Actual X-DPI" and "Actual Y-DPI" are at least 300 (some people say 267), doc is quite safe for printing; if not, then you'll need an image of higher quality, i.e., higher resolution (more PPI).

There is an interesting article about the misunderstanding of DPI (actually, couple of them, just follow the links) which might be of interest to you.

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder about PPI and DPI difference, Nermander :)

Nermander

Quote from: Craig Mattice on May 30, 2011, 12:03:46 PM
3652/6 = 595 PPI

3652/9 = 408 PPI

Is your image really 3652x3652 pixels?

You take the number of pixels the image is wide, and divide it by the printed width. That will give you the vertical number of pixels per inch.

And you can thus take the number of pixels the image is high, and divide it by the printed haight. That will give the horizontal number of pixels per inch.

It is the printed size of the image that matters, not the trimmed size (if you print with bleed the printed size will be bigger then the trimmed size).

Craig Mattice

Please allow me to admit this is my first experience at any of this, self taught by reading, videos, and trial and errors ( many of them).  If I understand what you are saying here is what I come up with:

The imported image dimensions:  W = 3652 pix;  H = 3568 pix;  DPI = 486;  PNG format

Properties show:  Actual  X DPI = 486.1 and Actual  Y DPI = 486.1

Geometry:  W = 6.132 in;  H = 6.047 in

Measured Printed Area:  W = 6.15;  H = 6.086

Your Formula:  W 3652/6.15 = 593.6 PPI          H 3568/6.086 = 586.26 PPI

When I Print Screen and cut everything outside of the actual cover image I have in JPEG format:

W = 664 pix/6.15 = 108 PPI  H = 655/6.086 =107.6 PPI  With a DPI = 486    V = 108 PPI & H = 107.6 PPI

I'm using a 11" x 17" document background layer, with the a new layer import or a graphic template image to create my cover on yet another new layer.  When I do the Pre-Flight there are "No Problems" in any category.  I perform a Print Preview at 200% and everything is fine.  I then Save as a PDF everything shows up fine at 8.37 MB.

This is a lot of information and have no idea what it shows other than my cover "appears" to look good and act correctly within the submission parameters and guidelines.  That's only my best guess using only the downloaded template.  I have yet to actually use the Create a Cover online.

What does this mean to you?
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Nermander

Quote from: Craig Mattice on May 31, 2011, 03:03:39 PM
The imported image dimensions:  W = 3652 pix;  H = 3568 pix;  DPI = 486;  PNG format
As explained on the page Meho R. linked to that DPI value is just a number in the file.

Properties show:  Actual  X DPI = 486.1 and Actual  Y DPI = 486.1
Is this what Scribus says?

I don't have Scribus here, but I would expect Scribus to calculate that value from the number of pixels and the physical size, but it doesn't match the manual calculation.

You could try to scale the image in Scribus to half the size and see wheter that value changes. Shrinking the image to half the size should double the D/PPI (because the image still has the same number of pixels).

Craig Mattice

Quote from: Nermander on June 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
Quote from: Craig Mattice on May 31, 2011, 03:03:39 PM
The imported image dimensions:  W = 3652 pix;  H = 3568 pix;  DPI = 486;  PNG format
As explained on the page Meho R. linked to that DPI value is just a number in the file.
Yes, I fully understand that now.
Quote from: Nermander on June 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
Quote from: Craig Mattice on May 31, 2011, 03:03:39 PMProperties show:  Actual  X DPI = 486.1 and Actual  Y DPI = 486.1
Is this what Scribus says?
Yes, the data above is from Scribus.  In addition, I looked under Info:  Image, .png file and Scribus shows the image with an Original PPI:  350 x 350;  Actual PPI: 486 x 486.  Preview Setting:  Normal Resolution.
Quote from: Nermander on June 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AMI don't have Scribus here, but I would expect Scribus to calculate that value from the number of pixels and the physical size, but it doesn't match the manual calculation.

You could try to scale the image in Scribus to half the size and see whether that value changes. Shrinking the image to half the size should double the D/PPI (because the image still has the same number of pixels).
I really don't know how to do that in Scribus as it will not allow me to edit the image.  I'm not sure I know enough how I would do it in PhotoScape or IrfanView, but I'm sure willing to try and see what happens.  So even though the Info in Scribus shows Actual PPI: 486, I still need to reduce it?  If I try and shrink it to half its size it will not fill the front cover for presentation, or am I missing something?
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Craig Mattice

OK!  I think I not only understood what you meant but was able to accomplish the task.

I reduced the size of the original photo, sharpened it up a bit and inserted the image into the cover.  The info now reads original PPI: 96 x 96 and the actual PPI: 296 x 296.

Is that more what the objective  is and I've lost no clarity of image in the process?
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author

Craig Mattice

Just checking in to let you all know I finally understand what Nermander has been trying so tactfully to educate me on regarding the image inserts into the cover and what is required.  I now have my image photo at 100% and 300 x 300 PPI.  For all intents and purposes my cover is now completed and ready to be submitted to the publisher.  I've attached my book cover PDF so you have a better idea of what I've accomplished.

Right now the interior content is still in MS Word 2007.  I haven't transferred it to Scribus yet, as I'm still working with my editor.  Do you have any suggestions to make this process smooth both in Scribus document preparation and importing of the MS Word document?

Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Craig Mattice
New User, New Author