color rendering: 1.4 vs 1.5 vs print preview

Previous topic - Next topic

rascalsmom

Quote from: Nermander on October 10, 2013, 07:24:05 AM
If they are set up for sRGB, why do they require PDF/X-1a? PDF/X-1a does not allow for sRGB images...

I've been wondering the same thing. Apparently, accepting PDF/X-1a is fairly recent. The forum threads from which I gleaned the sRGB information were several years old.

Also, it seems there is a lot of information CreateSpace does not divulge publicly, such as what profiles they use. I can't help but wonder if they're doing a change-up on their printing system (complete guess on my part.)

Quote from: utnik on October 10, 2013, 09:43:29 AM
i just took a short look at the .pdf specifications of createSpace – there's not much written about color spaces and profiles. i would send them .pdf 1.3 files in sRGB. (in scribus: 'screen / web')
i'm sure, they can deal with this...

Utnik, thanks. I've been coming to the same conclusion but wondered how to do that, so you've answered one question. (Seems simple but everything Scribus has been a learning curve for this first book). Fortunately proofs from CreateSpace are cheap (around $4 plus shipping), so I can afford to experiment, LOL.

Quote from: leaf on October 10, 2013, 10:04:50 AM
I think that I know where is problem with your pdf-x1a. Adobe Reader for Linux show bad colors when open pdf with cmyk colors and with standard pdf-x 1a. I prepared on scribus 1.5 and in Corel 2 files with cmyk colors  and pdf-x 1a, and on Linux pclos in Adobe Reader colors was bad. When I open on Windows in Adobe Reader or in Evince, Foxit Reader on Linux colors are good. (without big contrast). And of course pdf-x1a has only cmyk and spot colors.

EDIT:
PDF-XChange Viewer under Wine on Linux show bad colors too, on Windows works good.

Thank you for experimenting, leaf, your conclusions are extremely helpful. It's a relief to know it hasn't been something I've unknowingly done wrong! Adobe has shown only very reluctant support for Linux, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

The only other thing I can say is that my first proofs came back from CreateSpace with very dark colors, closer to what Adobe Reader displayed. Apparently, this is common with CreateSpace printing, so there is much discussion on the CreateSpace forum for getting better color.

My interior files (also sent as PDF/X1-a) were black and white and turned out fine.

My ultimate goal is to print through Lightning Source. However, they only accept PDF/X-1a and have much fussier requirements. In addition, their proofs are more like $30 each so correcting mistakes can be costly! That's why I decided to start with CreateSpace. Now I'm glad I did.

Quote from: leaf on October 10, 2013, 10:04:50 AMHave You installed litte cms?

No. Should I?

Thank you for all these helpful responses, I am extremely grateful.

rascalsmom

Thank you leaf, I will do that.

I have to say I've learned a lot from my problems. Thank you to everyone who responded and helped.

rascalsmom

I just wanted to follow-up to report that my second cover proof was perfect. Besides the help I received here, I also got a few tips for CreateSpace printing at their forums. I have another issue(!), but that's for another thread.