can't get grid to display

Previous topic - Next topic

rascalsmom

Hello,

I am new to Scribus and new to the forums. I am working on a project with several text and image boxes, and I would like to use the grid to make sure they are lined up. However, the grid won't display. I'm using

Scribus 1.4.1
on Xubuntu 12.04

I have checked both "show page grid" and "show baseline grid" in preferences.
I have checked "show grid" and "show baseline grid" in the view menu.

I don't see a grid. Is there something else I need to do?

GarryP

The baseline grid is used to align text within text frames so that's not what you need to be looking at just now.

Sometimes Scribus doesn't immediately show or apply changes to things like "show grid" or "snap to guides" for some reason. I've never been able to replicate the exact circumstances so I've not been able to create a bug report about this.

You could try checking the colour of your grid lines in case that may be the problem.

However, I'd recommend that you use guides instead of the grid. The grid can be more of a problem than it's worth when you're trying to align things that are near to grid lines. With guides you can create a general layout with minimal fuss that can work much better.

This doesn't fix the problem you're having but it would get round it and give you more creative control of what you're doing in general.

I hope this helps.

rascalsmom

GarryP, thank you. I appreciate your response.

Here's what I've figured out, that my background color hides the grid and guides! That was set first and I'm not sure how to decrease its opacity with the image and text boxes in place. Maybe I should try again and apply background color last. Is that possible?

Arran

Use a layer for the background. Then you can switch it off while you work on the main layer.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

rascalsmom

Thanks Arran, that sounds like the best solution. Scribus still seems a bit awkward because I'm used to other programs like Gimp. But that was a learning curve too.

Nermander

There is a checkbox where you can choose whether guides (and that includes the grid as far as I know) in the background or in the foreground. But personally I think it becomes to intruding in the foreground.

http://documentation.scribus.net/index.php/Preferences_and_Document_Setup#Guides