Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Scripts and Plugins / Re: getPageType Strange Error
« Last post by a.l.e on May 26, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »
... i guess that the page identity is the page number... starting from 0 or 1...
PDF Generation / Re: "Use Color Profiles" options in PDF export
« Last post by a.l.e on May 26, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »
but i would first ask at the printshop what they really need. it's a bit strange to call for .pdf/x-4 when they can't handle correct .pdf/x-4 files.
if your project is free of transparency effects, you might be fine with .pdf./x-1a.

on the one side, utnik is 100% correct with this hint...

... but there is one more thing to be careful of: if a print shop ask for a pdf/x-4 but expect images to be in CMYK, there are some chances that they also will break transparencies!
so, if you have transparencies in your document, you should also ask the print shop if they support them...

and, indeed, if you don't have transparencies, you should be able to provide a pdf/x-1 a and your print shop will probably happy with it...
Scripts and Plugins / Re: getPageType Strange Error
« Last post by Nermander on May 26, 2018, 01:27:48 pm »
The error message says the function needs an argument, and the paranthesis is empty.

I think you need to use

Code: [Select]
scribus.getPageType(<page identity>)
I have no idea what <page identity> shall be, but of course you will have to let the function know for which page you are requesting the Page Type.

« Last post by utnik on May 26, 2018, 10:01:23 am »
hi lcooper

as i understand it, the scribus developers force scribus to convert colors as required by the specifications of the output format. (…and don't allow to change this in most cases.)

if your print shop asks for .pdf/x-4, but with all the content converted to a specific cmyk profile, you need to convert it in advance. if your image processor is gimp, you'll need another program for the conversion. (krita would be my choice.)

but i would first ask at the printshop what they really need. it's a bit strange to call for .pdf/x-4 when they can't handle correct .pdf/x-4 files.
if your project is free of transparency effects, you might be fine with .pdf./x-1a.

utnik
« Last post by lcooper on May 26, 2018, 07:15:22 am »
From what I understand (and that is not a lot!) by reading the PDF/X-4 specification on the Adobe web-site:

"All color data can be grayscale, CMYK, named spot colors, RGB, Lab or ICC-profile based."

so I am assuming that Scribus is allowing the colour schemes to be output to the PDF when in previous versions of the PDF/X standard they would be forced to CMYK. As you say, I need to force the output to CMYK while if this is not possible, convert all images to CMYK in Scribus before the export (a big job for me as the book contains hundreds of images).

Again, thanks for any help on this.
Scripts and Plugins / getPageType Strange Error
« Last post by Derek on May 25, 2018, 10:13:48 pm »
I'm faffing about with what should be a simple script. I'm creating a page, getting the margins, then trying to get the page type (0 = Left, 1 = Middle, 2 = Right) to create a text frame the correct position and size.

The code I'm using to try to get the page type is:
intPageType = scribus.getPageType()but that is generating an error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 8, in <module>
  File "/home/derek/Data_OF/Scribus/Scripts/Hello World.py", line 47, in <module>
    intPageType = scribus.getPageType()
TypeError: function takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

Replacing the line with:
intPageType = 1clears the error and the rest of the script (so far) works fine.

Either I'm doing something really silly, or getPageType doesn't work as documented. I haven't been able to find an example of it being used anywhere so far.

Suggestions?

Added May 26:I'm using Ubuntu 1804LTS, happens in Scribus 1.4.7 and yesterday's Scribus-Trunk build.
I want to insert the page number in the master page itself by Insert>Character>Page Number way. By this all the pages will have the page numbers automatically.

The workaround is like make a text box in the master page and add these Hindi numerals manually on each page later on. However, this though possible, has difficulty if any new page is added at the beginning or in the midway, all the page numbers coming after that inserted new page are to be changed manually.
« Last post by a.l.e on May 25, 2018, 05:17:17 pm »
i'm trying to find out if you can force scribus to do the conversion despite the fact that the required pdf version seems to have been created exactly for that reason: supporting color management!

if the printer wants CMYK images, there are then chances that you will have to convert the images before importing them into scribus... or use a pdf version that needs the conversion.

i will post a reply if i find out more...
« Last post by lcooper on May 25, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
Yes, that is correct. The printer has asked for PDF/X-4 with a specific ICC (which I have installed am using ok) but all of the images should be saved as CMYK. I have tried playing around with some of the settings but can't understand what I need to do to achieve this. So far I have had to try and send them the PDF for them to check - I also can't see which type of images my PDF has myself.

Thanks
« Last post by a.l.e on May 25, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »
pdf/x-4 allows rgb files to be in the resulting pdf...

so i guess, that your question is about forcing scribus to convert all the images to cmyk despite you using pdf/x-4...
am i correct?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]