Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Drag & drop not working in Arrange Pages
« Last post by utnik on Today at 01:12:19 pm »
hi pemburysinger
I have Windows 7, not Windows 10, and Arrange Pages doesn't work on Windows 7 in the way you describe…

i just checked 'arrange pages' with scribus 1.4.6 on a windows 7 machine. as long as i don't try to move the last page, everything (adding new pages, moving existing pages) works as expected.

either your system is partly broken or you do something strange…

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: V1.5.3 Text Properties
« Last post by utnik on Today at 12:56:21 am »
hi redtiger
The other thing I find a pain is the story editor. Why doesn't it work like a normal word processor. OK it is usable but just not user friendly.

just don't use it!
edit your text either in a text editor before you place it in the scribus file – or direct in the frame…

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: V1.5.3 Text Properties
« Last post by redtiger on January 15, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
This was causing me real greif as a new user. To overcome the line spacing being fixed I had resorted to using a textframe for each line. I checked the manuals and did not have the properties>text as it specified.
Checking updates I found reference to the new text properties but it did not say how to open them.

I hope this information will make scribus much easier for me as I find its function really useful.

The other thing I find a pain is the story editor. Why doesn't it work like a normal word processor. OK it is usable but just not user friendly.

Beginner Talk / Re: Pixels and Scribus
« Last post by GarryP on January 15, 2018, 11:45:52 am »
You're welcome.

To digress slightly, if you need to make closing credits for your video you might want to look at using Blender to create something simple pretty quickly with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-lKxaZg5s (The original poster uses GIMP to create the credit roll but you can use Scribus instead; just create a very long custom-sized page and export the end result to an image.) Once you've done it once, all you need to do is change the image and one or two camera/timing settings and you can re-use it for many projects.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do this but the Blender route will allow you to build on your work-flow to introduce things like parallax scrolling, other effects, and 3D animations when you need them.

Just thought I'd mention this while I remembered it.
PDF Generation / Re: Problems embedding fonts
« Last post by mnawij on January 15, 2018, 05:21:39 am »
Welcome lesleysprite,

Would your printer accept the file with the fonts outlined? I know that I prefer receiving files with the fonts outlined, btw I am a commercial printer.

Cheers!

mnawij
Beginner Talk / Re: Pixels and Scribus
« Last post by dezcat on January 14, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »
Thank you, GarryP...as usual, you nailed it!
« Last post by GarryP on January 14, 2018, 04:09:56 pm »
You already said that you were using Windows 7 but I didn't see why Scribus would behave any differently between 7 and 10. There are some differences between OS X and Windows and Linux but the differences are usually - in my experience at least - only between the different OSes and not between different versions of the same OS.

The tiny bit of testing that I did didn't show the problems you're having so I've no idea what's going wrong.

Unless you're going to be rearranging pages, the Arrange Pages function isn't much use - in my opinion - for checking the overall layout as you can't see what's on the pages. You can get an idea of the overall layout by just zooming out of your document but you can only see a bit of a long document which might not be ideal. It would be great if we could choose how many spreads were shown across the canvas - rather than the current situation of just the 1/2/3 pages depending on document type - but maybe that could be something for a later version.

Anyway, if you insert pages in the usual way - as mentioned above - as you say you are going to be doing then you should be fine.
« Last post by PemburySinger on January 14, 2018, 11:58:00 am »
Hi GarryP, I have Windows 7, not Windows 10, and Arrange Pages doesn't work on Windows 7 in the way you describe, except for the first page 2, and then only after exiting Scribus, going back into it and loading the file. After that, there is no dark rectangle, and it is inert.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will continue to use Pages>Insert from now on, and simply use Arrange Pages to check the overall layout when I feel the need.
« Last post by PemburySinger on January 14, 2018, 11:53:04 am »
I have made some progress by using Pages>Insert. Having had one partially successful attempt and scrapping it, the second attempt was wholly successful, and I added four master pages, left, right, left, right. Also, when I looked at Arrange Pages, it displayed them correctly, even though I can't actually use it to do anything with the pages. It does, however, provide a useful overview of the layout of the pages themselves.
« Last post by GarryP on January 14, 2018, 11:30:10 am »
Ah, I think I understand now. If I've got it right, you're dragging master pages down to the "Document Pages" section.

I've just done a quick test with 1.4.6 on Windows 10 and it seems to work fine as long as you do what utnik says about making sure that the dark rectangle appears before you release the mouse button. Dragging pages around also works sometimes, but not always and that makes the function a bit unusable. For example, in my tests I could not drag page 5 of a 5-page document anywhere.

As utnik says, the usual way to create pages is the "Page -> Insert" function and you can then use the "Page -> Apply Master Page" function - en masse if necessary - to make sure the correct master pages are applied. That's the way I've always done it and it's always worked for me.

If you really need to use the Arrange Pages function for moving pages around, remember that the dialog is not modal so if you zoom the document out you can see the pages being moved around (if Scribus lets you move them).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10