Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Layout Issues / Re: First line offset - misaligned baselines
« Last post by a.l.e on March 23, 2018, 09:48:48 am »
eudoxos, your replies are getting funkier and funkier...

sadly, it's a bit hard to reproduce what you are doing, since i can only manage to type "latin" languages.

- using tabulators is very compatible with paragraph styles (and you cannot set tabulators in character styles)
- in this case, using tabulators is a solution, not a hack.
- in scribus, you can very well control the vertical offset of a character

upload a .sla with 4 lines, each line with four "words" in different scripts, separated by a tabulator.
and the links to the fonts one needs to install.
and i can try it out.

maybe it does indeed not work... but until proven of the contrary, this seems to be something trivial to solve with tabulators.
Layout Issues / Re: First line offset - misaligned baselines
« Last post by eudoxos on March 23, 2018, 08:40:37 am »
I will look at that, but, honestly, it feels like right ear itching, left foot scratching left cheek. Mixing two scripts means I cannot just assign paragraph styles but will have to assign character styles to individual words.

I think it is a bug anyway that the first like offset cannot be controlled in an easy way; think of TeX, you have \strut, \smash, \phantom and all that (that was 30 years ago!).
PDF Generation / Re: File Import Formats
« Last post by a.l.e on March 23, 2018, 07:30:33 am »
scribus 1.5 does import PDFs.

but the text gets vectorized.

so, what's missing is somebody working on getting scribus to (optionally) import text as such.
if possible, by contributing it to poppler (iirc, scribus is using the the poppler pdf library to import pdfs)

if you know somebody interested in working on this, you can start collecting some money to pay her...
PDF Generation / Re: Updated PDF Version Output?
« Last post by a.l.e on March 23, 2018, 07:26:26 am »
i skimmed through the list... only 2.0 seems relevant for printing...

... and it's brand new, so i would not expect printers to support it for a few years...

why were you asking for those formats?
do you know about print shops that accept or require them?

PDF Generation / File Import Formats
« Last post by mnawij on March 23, 2018, 04:15:29 am »
A wish of mine ;D

A pdf file importer/converter such as:
so that scribus could open a pdf file for true editing.  Would this not be easier to do with the open pdf standard than trying to reverse engineer the various idml, quark, publisher, etc....for import into scribus?  Since I am not a coder I do not really know...

PDF Generation / Updated PDF Version Output?
« Last post by mnawij on March 23, 2018, 04:09:38 am »
Hello Everyone!

I am just curious if there are plans to extend the pdf export to 1.6, 1.7 or even the new 2.0 in the future?  Reference:

Beginner Talk / Re: Fold out pages for a coffee table book
« Last post by mnawij on March 23, 2018, 03:55:23 am »
Hello RTS,

Two options:
1. Layout those pages as separate files as the printer will probably have to print those pages on their own signature sheets (printing term).
2. a. Create the default page size of 13"x9.5", btw little tidbit: it is always width then height when defining printing specs if you did not know
    b. Select the page with the flyout option by clicking on it
    c. Menu Page -> Page Properties
    d. Adjust new width and heighth -> Click OK
    e. Not sure if the printer will want those pages inline/in the pdf file or not, you will have to confirm that with them.

Beginner Talk / Re: Fold out pages for a coffee table book
« Last post by RodneyLee on March 22, 2018, 10:53:35 pm »
you might ask or check with your printer for a template, you should be able to layout that page front and back separately or I heard and not tried that Scribus can do different pages sizes in same document
Beginner Talk / Fold out pages for a coffee table book
« Last post by RTS on March 22, 2018, 07:48:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,

New user here. SCRIBUS looks great for so many day to day jobs.

I am about to start the layout of a coffee table book, 13x9.5 inches, 272 pages, nearly all filled with both colour and B&W photography.

I feel comfortable with the software having been an InDesign user in the past.

I would like to include about a dozen fold out pages.
I have no idea how to approach this.
It would be great to know how before I begin.

Has anyone successfully designed a hard cover book of this type in SCRIBUS with this feature?

RT Simon

Rehearsing with Gods Photographs and Essays on the Bread & Puppet Theater
Chelsea Green Publishing 2004

PDF Generation / Re: Selecting all for a pdf
« Last post by WHYz on March 22, 2018, 07:54:03 am »
THANKS to both of you! Someone else who creates .pdf's told me I had to "select all." I wondered a bit about it, but since it worked (when nothing else seemed to), I thought that was correct. I'm so glad I won't need to "select all" for every page!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10